View Single Post
Old 03-05-2011, 06:43 AM   #12
I used the 719 number the op qouted, As his drawing showed 2x10s nominal and his unsupported span, I just ran that back through the defleto to see what variable (16"oc) he had used to get 719.

The Op has since conformed that.

ImO as I said, the deflection movement is insignificant when you convert the deflection number to actual inches within 18" of that beam. I often see people do long span ijoists floors not realizing a normal deflection number can easily result in a 1/2" of defection movement which I have always felt is a weakness of just using a defelction number in judging suitability for stone or tile alone. Here we have somewhat the opposite as he is working ionly within a foot and a half of the beam.

With less than 3/16 of an inch at midspan of calculated fully loaded deflection, uplift is really pretty non consequential also.
I mean we are talking about a relatively stable floor. It's all relative. 719 on a 10 foot span is a whole lot more stable at the splice than 719 on a 20 foot span. The uplift on a 10ft or so span even with 3/16 of max defectionI is tiny. (a couple hundreths of an inch) just don't see the big iissue. IMO either shave the hotspot or cut the tail and good to go
Honeydo is offline   Reply With Quote