View Single Post
Old 03-07-2005, 09:56 PM   #82
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi Marni,

I love your pictures and creative ways to transform the ordinary into the extrodinary!

The Indian head is 8 3/8" tall. To get a perspective, you may notice my left paw holding it while my right paw is clicking the picture. It is made out of butternut wood. (Wood smells kinda good when cutting it) And it took about 2 days of interrupted carving time. I think it would take about 8 hours to make another one like that.

Yep, a traditional camera is what I use for anything cool. I had photography in the first year of high school and have stayed with a manual controlled camera ever since (2.2 decades). I have kids now, so sometimes I wish I had a more automated camera to capture the quick action that takes place, but really like the ability to do whatever you want with the manual. The new digital cameras have a bunch of neat features, but still prefer the film cameras.

That night picture was taken in Northern Wisconsin and nowhere near any city lights. A few months ago, I was taking some other pictures at night and my exposure time was up around 30 minutes. You wouldn't believe how bright the pictures are. They almost look like they were taken during the day. And they were taken at close to midnight, with no moonlight. It was dark. I mean real dark. I used 100 speed film with the aperature turn all the way down for 30 minutes and the intense blue color of the sky is something else. Experimenting at night is just like painting. You start with a dark, black picture, and you "paint" with light here and there until you have your picture painted. While the shutter is open, I take my flashbulb and "paint" a blast of light on something that I want to be highlighted. Sometimes I'll use the flash 10 or 20 times for one picture to light up a distant object. All these neat exerimental pictures were done with a traditional camera and I don't have a scanner to put them here, or I'd show ya all. The night picture I showed was developed at Walgreens so I got a CD with the pictures. But the quality is crappy. The resolution doesn't do it justice.

Jack, good thinking on the irregular caulk lines you might have had with traditional baseboard. How tall did you make them? 4 1/2"ish?? Did you do anything to ease the square top edge?