Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile (http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Professionals' Hangout (http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Tecs New Adhesive (http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61030)

Scottish Tile and Stone 03-24-2008 10:38 AM

Tecs New Adhesive

I was in Lowes today, just as one of Tecs reps was talking to the Lowes crew about the products.. There new adhesive (mastic) can be used for setting tiles and stone up to 20" on the floor... :lol1: I read the fine print, and one of the limitations is the tile or stone cant have any lugs on the back.. Almost all the tile Ive ever set had lugs. Never seen stone with lugs though..

Whatcha think?

duneslider 03-24-2008 10:42 AM

Wonder how long it takes to dry under a 20 inch tile! Especially if it happens to be porcelain. If it can dry under porcelain at 20 inches why won't it just dry up in the bucket on the shelf?

Scottish Tile and Stone 03-24-2008 10:45 AM

It says 24hrs for 20" to dry..

duneslider 03-24-2008 11:05 AM

That's just as good as a modified thinset under 20's!

Imagine how fast that stuff will dry in the bucket with the lid off then.

TEC Guy 03-24-2008 05:42 PM

For DIY'ers

TEC's new line of mastics, available at Lowe's is called Invision. They're designed for the Do It Yourself'er. Not for the pro's.

Scottish Tile and Stone 03-24-2008 05:45 PM

Thanks Roger..

But it doesnt matter who installs it, I cant see mastic working with 20" tiles.. Maybe Im missing something..

Scottish Tile and Stone 03-24-2008 05:46 PM

And how many DIYers will know about lugs on the backs of tiles? Seems they are getting set up to fail..

Foochacho 03-24-2008 06:14 PM

Well I was always under the impression that mastic is a no go on any stone. It soaks in too much and can discolor it. They need big warning labels on the bucket to tell the diyer and tile hacks that mastic is unsuitable for wet areas. Big letters on the lid would work.

TEC Guy 03-24-2008 06:24 PM

Now I'm confused

Virtually all floor tiles have no lugs on the back. They have waffle patterns or grids but not lugs. Some wall tiles may have lug back designs, but generally speaking, lug backed tiles are pretty uncommon. Not sure what you're defining as lug backed tile.

Ceramic tile adhesives are nothing new. We've had a mastic out for a while called Double Duty Plus that can install a 20 x 20 on the vertical so I'm guessing the main reason for the skepticism is because the new TEC Invision adhesive is saying you can install up to 20 x 20 porcelain on the floor. Keep in mind that TEC is owned by the H.B. Fuller Co. We've been in business for over 120 years. All H.B.F. does is make adhesives. So we're pretty confident that our mastics and mortars will do what we say they'll do.

And again, remember that these are DIY products. Not contractor. So in the case of a 20 x 20 floor install, it might be a good idea to wait one extra before grouting. A full 24 hours to allow the adhesive to set up properly. Not very feasable for a contractor.

java 03-24-2008 06:33 PM

:lol1:

MHI 03-24-2008 06:34 PM

I agree with Roger on the lugs. I have yet to install one, but I have seen what they look like. Think of the soles of brand new work boots, thats what lugs are.

Why do professionals use thinset? Because it is more professional.:)

stullis 03-24-2008 06:58 PM

Is there fine print on the pail stating DIY only? :tongue:

Rd Tile 03-24-2008 07:00 PM

Wonder what Da man would have to say about all this, don't think that mastic has anywhere near the strength that thinset has and needs to be for tile on floors.

cx 03-24-2008 07:25 PM

Sorry you're not getting more meaningful discussion of the subject here, Roger. Mastic has never gotten much respect hereabouts, but I would prefer that you did. :)

What criteria does TEC use to divide its products between professional use and DIY use?

The whole purpose of our website Advice forum, as John Bridge initially created it, is to provide DIYers enough reliable information to allow them to create tile installations every bit as good as those done by professionals.

If a product, such as your new adhesive, is suitable for use by DIYers but not necessarily for professionals, how would you have us describe to them the reason for that difference? Can't be just the drying time, I wouldn't think. We generally advise them to wait a day before grouting when setting with thinset.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rd Tile
don't think that mastic has anywhere near the strength that thinset has and needs to be for tile on floors.

I'll bet that mastic has a sheer bond rating higher than the sheer bond requirement for any thinset you use, Richie. :shades:

I've lost bets like that before, though. :)

TEC Guy 03-24-2008 07:52 PM

Fine print on the pail stating DIY only?

It's being sold at Lowe's. A Do It Yourself store. It's 3 sku's of adhesive, 7 colors of pre-mixed grout and a matching caulk. It's marketed as a DIY product. None of what Lowes is selling is available at current TEC distributors. And never will be.

And FYI. It's shear bond strength rating is 500 psi. Which exceeds many of the thin sets out there.

But it's pre-mixed mastic and grout gang. It's DIY.

If a DIY'er wants to do his own tile job, then these are excellent products.

I'd get laughed off a job if I broke open a pail of mastic for a 1,200 sf porcelain residential job.

Pro's buy pro grade. DIY'ers buy pre-mixed.