Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile (http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tile Forum/Advice Board (http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Memphis DIY'er Shower job, FIRST TILE JOB! (http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=29533)

Memphis Tile 11-23-2005 09:24 AM

Memphis DIY'er Shower job, FIRST TILE JOB!

Got kicked out of another thread and now starting my own, just kidding CX, thanks for the help.

Doing my first complete rip out of old shower, built 3 foot knee wall, expanded the floor dimension, tile on the bath floor and closet.

Got some feedback on pre-mixed mortar v. mastic. Lowes has both, Type I and another bucket of Pre-mixed Thinset Mortar. Did not use the TI but the Mortar,, We shall see what happens. I am using Kerabond/Keralastic mix for the shower floor based on Mapei recomendations.

Any thoughts on corner joints in the shower? Have read both, I have left about a 1/4"- in the corners. Good or bad or ok? I will be bringing in an extra towel to wipe down the walls after the shower,(Thanks JB)

I used the hardibacker board but did not put a vapor barrier behind it, never read about it or had anyone tell me about it, is this just an extra precaution?

That is all for now, Pictures will soon follow.. Thanks everyone for being so helpful :calm:

Davestone 11-23-2005 07:16 PM

Most all of those premixes are the same,unfortunately, they are water soluble.The vapor barrier is important,but it can depend on the tile job,but you can still add a roll on waterproofing now before tiling.

Memphis Tile 11-30-2005 09:07 PM

updated pics

here are some pics of my progress

Theoderik 11-30-2005 10:27 PM

Pics didn't come through Memphis. try again.

And, throw on some RedGuard over that before you start to tile. I forgot (didn't know about) the vapor barrier in MY shower as well. I RedGuarded it and feel a LOT better.

sw (shawn)

Memphis Tile 12-01-2005 06:27 PM

I wish I had known about the redguard, tile is already up. damn i hope it lasts. Used the premixed Thinset Mortar from lowes. I will cry if my tile starts to fall off the walls. sure have put lots of time in this project. Pictures will come, just need to find a way to shrink them to 50kb.

Memphis Tile 12-12-2005 07:40 AM

AAggghh, finally some pictures

5 Attachment(s)
Well here ya go. I do know more about the following:

Why they make bullnose tiles
Why tile guys get paid so much money
clean up is a bitc*!

All in all it was a great project, would do it again. Made some errors but happy with the project and most of it I will be the only one to see them.

Memphis Tile 12-12-2005 07:42 AM

3 Attachment(s)
couple more

one more question, how do you get the damn grout out of the corners?? Being a Weekend Warrior one of those pesty things I could not get smooth without wiping it all away....