Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile (http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tile Forum/Advice Board (http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   What shower waterproofing method to use? (http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=124893)

usedsoup 03-08-2018 11:04 AM

What shower waterproofing method to use?
After doing some searching around about the various ways to waterproof a shower I still can't decide on what method to use.

All the major manufactures seam to carry similar things i.e. foam boards, liquid applied and fabric.

My only shower I've done before was the tar paper behind backerboard with two part mortar bed design.

I'd like to do something different this time.
My plan for the showeris a 40"◊40" mud bed pan with tile on two walls and frameless glass surround.

Cost, durability and ease of install are my deciding factors.

What do some of you like use?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Kman 03-08-2018 11:42 AM

Redgard is easily available at your local Home Depot. I use it on occasion. I currently use the Durock shower membrane. It's just like hanging wallpaper.

usedsoup 03-08-2018 12:16 PM

Durock membrane was one I'm heavily leaning towards.

Do you like to put it over durock cement board?

Anyone know why USG says you can't put it over drywall? If its just like kerdi, why not?

Kman 03-08-2018 12:20 PM

I've always used it over sheetrock. I think I remember reading their reason for using only cement board is in case of a water leak inside the wall.

There's nothing wrong with either one, in my opinion.

jwmezzanotte 03-08-2018 07:52 PM

Itís easier to use sheet membrane on drywall than cement board. If you do use cement board and sheet membrane dampen it first so it doesnít dry out your mortar.

Quick and easy IMO would be sheet membrane on the pan with banding around the inside corners (less worry about proper thickness with liquid in a critical area)
Liquid over cement board on the walls (red guard/hydroban etc)
Donít forget to mesh tape your seams

cx 03-08-2018 08:04 PM

I've gotta agree with Kevin on the use of the Durock Shower Membrane over whatever backing you feel most comfortable with. I would not be at all hesitant to use it over drywall if I wanted.

The only time I used it over Durock walls, I found it quite easy to install and wouldn't hesitate to do that again.

And I gotta disagree with John on the use of a liquid-applied membrane on the walls instead of the sheet membrane. By the time you tape and mud the joints, wait for that to dry, apply your liquid membrane and wait for that to dry, I could easily have put the sheet membrane over the walls, joints and all, and be tiling.

Different strokes. :)

My opinion; worth price charged.

jwmezzanotte 03-08-2018 08:49 PM

I agree with you CX.
Seemed like cost was a factor more than time here though unless I misread.

Personally Iíd use foam board and be ready for a flood test by noon, but not everyone wants to pay for that.
Different on a job than diy (isnít that the case here?) where labour is ďfreeĒ so to speak

usedsoup 03-08-2018 08:49 PM

Thanks everyone, I think I'm sold on the Durock membrane over drywall.
On top of that I called a Tom Duffy supply house here in town and its only $70 for a 25' roll[emoji4]

Also anyone on this board in the Phoenix area?
I'm trying to find a good glass installer.

jadnashua 03-08-2018 09:12 PM

From what I can tell, only two companies have paid for the tests to certify their sheet membranes will work over drywall - Schluter and Laticrete.

So, since that is required to actually be considered a valid installation, you could be in for problems. I'm not saying it won't work, but if an inspector actually knows and understands the stuff, it could fail because it wasn't installed per the instructions over a certified backer.