Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile (http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Computer Training (http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   New Computer Choice (http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86215)

Steven Hauser 07-28-2010 04:18 AM

Steven....

Thanks for your input...this is exactly the type of information I am looking for.

A couple of questions, if you don't mind..??

1) You said:
Quote:
Fusion allows a pretty seamless transfer, but answering an email for instance is a pain.
Does this mean your computer based mail handler doesn't handle the interface well? Or? Are you using a web based mail handler? I typically use the mail handler supplied by my internet provider, sooo,....everything is handled through a browser window. What do you think??

Answer: The mac uses an application called mail. It is very good about filtering spam. In it I set up a mac email. I also have mail coming from web server. It does fine. The mac mail application interface with the server mail application is good. However, I donít get mail from my office. The small business server 2003 microsoft exchange was tough. So I worked around it. I bought a macbook pro for my wife. She did nt want to change her email address. It is msn/hotmail email address. She liked her settings on her msn page. She has a tough time because mail does not support hotmail directly. She has work on the web server from msn. I tell her to get a gmail or thunderbird account because they are neutral. From there I can get gmail or thunderbird to interact with the mail server.

When I switched to the mac in late 2007, I wanted all my old emails. I had to buy an application and spent about a week to get everything cleaned up and set up.

2) Also:
Quote:
Networking is somewhat trying, file transfer is problematic.
Is this a problem with a wireless home network, or?? Is it a Mac issue, or a software problem caused by the interface between Mac and PC software??

This is software driven problem. I send and receive emails with attachments. The mac wants you to use the Iwork software. Many people donít use it.

What I did was my Microsoft for Mac. This made communications with others easy but it was an additional expense.

3) Help!!...
Quote:
I use 10.6 called Snow Leopard on the native mac side.........Fusion allows a pretty seamless transfer...
I am not familiar with Snow Leopard at all (probably should be I guess)...What do I need to know?? My understanding about Fusion is that it allows PC software to run in the Mac environment. Is my understanding correct?? If you are using PC software with Fusion (or something else??), do you need to have the Windows OS loaded on the machine also?? Or does Fusion provide the necessary interpretation to run under the native Mac OS???

Yes, what essentially happens is a partition is set on your machine. You have to get new licenses for all your software and operating system.

4) All of the newspaper folks I have worked for/with use Macs. Why is this (if you would hazard a guess)?? What is there about the Mac platform that lends itself so well to journalistic endeavors?? Is it something in the hardware, or a particular software application?? No one I've spoken with seems to know the answer.

It is combination of marketing and fact. Marketing- cool and hip. Fact- better graphic interface.

I have Adobe CS-4 I do a lot of layout work. Because of the constant hack attacks in windows, I rarely use my windows environment. The mac environment doesnít need all the spyware stuff. It makes it faster. But, if I ws using the ubuntu and CS4 pc version it would be similar.

5) Last question (for the moment anyway..):
Quote:
if you buy into the advertising by Apple and purchase one, continue purchasing.
Sounds like you are sort of disenchanted with Mac (or maybe not...)
Continue purchasing what??

Disenchanted- No. Reality. I spent over 4500 making my macbook pro work like a champ. I bought it in 2008-January. I believe functional obsolescence makes it a 3 year machine. I have priced new ones. It will be a $4000 machine.

Now- If I never bought a mac. I could buy well equipped pc model for $2500. Functional obsolescence makes it a 2.5 year machine.
If I wanted to switch back to save myself the money It would be hard to. So I wonít but I will spend more money.

If you never buy in to mac is better idea. Use ubuntu and equip your pc similarly to a mac you will save real $$.

Best regards,

Hobbit 07-28-2010 07:11 PM

Thanks to all of you who took the time to respond.....I am going to do some research into Ubuntu....also Fusion and the Mac supplied stuff that allows you to boot into Windows and run it as a native OS. Also have to check with some of my software companies and find about porting to Mac.....May not be able to make the switch, even if I decided I wanted to!!!

Anyway, thanks again for all the answers/opinions. :clap1:

I know a LOT more than I did before....I think that's a good thing. :yeah:

MrLumberjack 08-03-2010 08:20 PM

I just have to put my 2 cents in,

First, where did all you Mac advocates come from? It's like the entire 5% of the market for Mac responded.

Having had the luxury of Administrating a mixed PC/Mac environment. I can say without a doubt that Macs are not worthy of consideration. The difference between Macs and PCs is that Macs are limited, they are more expensive to boot. Who wants a pricey and limited computer!?!

For starters, back a few years ago, when a single program on the Mac died, you were doomed! If you would have been using a PC, the only problem you would be facing was a program that crashed and not an entire OS that crashed along with it!

Watch this video

When you think of it, it's not the PC or Mac that makes a computer suck or not, it's the software that you use. On a PC there's all sorts of freebie software and then there's plenty of expensive software. With the Mac, you are for the most part left with the expensive software. This would be great if you had an endless budget for everything.

When I continue to think about what really makes a computer ROCK, I think of Macs always being at the trailing edge of every trend. Most Macs don't even have HDMI ports, BluRay Drives, or eSATA ports. When they finally get around to adding these standard technology improvements, you can rest assured there's another standard that they're TOTALLY missing out on.

What stopped the Mac from crashing the entire system for decades was finally the introduction of Mac OS X, which is really a trimmed down version of Linux.

Believe me when you're thinking of buying a Mac, what you're really thinking is using a non-Windows Operating System. Why not simply buy a PC and install a Linux OS if you're really looking for a new OS. If you're ready to make the jump from one OS to another, why choose a Mac OS when you can step up to a real Operating System?

ob1kanobee 08-03-2010 10:43 PM

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but Lumberjack (Brian) sure makes a lot of sense to me.

oakview 08-03-2010 11:30 PM

+1 for Linux

You can dual, triple, quadruple... boot also. Ditched Windoze years ago.

MudMaker 08-18-2010 07:34 PM

I gotta question.. Thinkin bout a new laptop and too cheap to purchase a Mac.. It represents change and I don't like change.. Anywayz.. Lookin at the Toshiba Qosmio's and the Satellite plus Asus

any opinions??It's for Fredia.. Pics n stuff... :shades:

jgleason 08-18-2010 07:47 PM

I see you like having a BIG screen! Check this one out at NewEgg - Toshiba Satellite

Big screen, dual-core, 4GB RAM, 500GB hard drive. Yes it is only dual-core butthat really isn't bad for most folks. It doesn't have a BluRay either butfor most folks that won't be an issue.

MudMaker 08-18-2010 07:59 PM

That's not bad for the price... Proly don't need a Bluray... I just kinda like bells n whistles... didn't want to get another monitor for Fredia so picked the 18"

David Hillman 08-19-2010 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrLumberjack
For starters, back a few years ago, when a single program on the Mac died, you were doomed! If you would have been using a PC, the only problem you would be facing was a program that crashed and not an entire OS that crashed along with it!

Once upon a time, computers also came with floppy disks. That doesn't matter much anymore, unless your point is "Don't buy a five year old Mac", which I agree with. OS X was introduced 8 years ago.

Quote:

When you think of it, it's not the PC or Mac that makes a computer suck or not, it's the software that you use. On a PC there's all sorts of freebie software and then there's plenty of expensive software. With the Mac, you are for the most part left with the expensive software. This would be great if you had an endless budget for everything.

This is a similarly-aged opinion. For free, you can download virtualization software that will allow you to run any Windows OS, or many UNIX OSes, on top of your Macintosh OS. I'm doing this on my MacBook Pro, running Windows XP at the same time.

Quote:

Believe me when you're thinking of buying a Mac, what you're really thinking is using a non-Windows Operating System. Why not simply buy a PC and install a Linux OS if you're really looking for a new OS. If you're ready to make the jump from one OS to another, why choose a Mac OS when you can step up to a real Operating System?

Most people want to buy a computer with the OS installed. There's nothing more real about Linux than OS X. Arguably the opposite, since most people expect a company to support their OS, not a random group of volunteers. You can, of course, buy Linux from a company that will support it, at which point, you may as well buy from Apple.

Personally, I use all kinds of OS. OS X on my personal laptop, with Windows XP virtualized. A couple Linux desktops at home, also virtualized and running other OS at the same time. At work, Solaris iron and Linux, and of course, XP on the company laptop.

I have problems with everything except the Mac. YMMV. I wouldn't recommend anything else to a person who just wants "a computer that works" unless I really didn't like the guy ;)

ob1kanobee 08-19-2010 04:06 PM

How come every time I go to buy a computer I have to pay $100 bucks to have someone take all the factory installed junk off and do who knows what else (format?)? Why can't a computer just come as it should? Is this some kind of scam? Can a novice do this themselves? What about extended warranties? Good deal or bad? Should I buy one at a big box store or on the web like the place Joe posted (Nuegg?). Do I need to buy antivirus or can I get by with the free stuff?

MudMaker 08-19-2010 05:43 PM

Don't know why you can't do alla that stuff yourownself Ben.. If I can do it - so can you... All downloadin is, is waitin.. Antivirus I now use AVG. Can't say it's better but it's free, and whilst I'm waitin for something else to come along I'll be usin it.. Oh.. also running Outpost Firewall... Just tryin it... It's free too.. I'm a big fan of (KimKommando)
Now extended warranties - generally don't but have one on this Toshiba A305 as it has been in the shop 5 or 6 times - so I now have the extended warranty for it...

MudMaker 08-19-2010 05:46 PM

As for the factory junk.. Go to start menu, Control panel, to Programs and uninstall anything ya don't want or think you need...

tileguynky 08-19-2010 08:50 PM

Posted by Ben
Quote:

How come every time I go to buy a computer I have to pay $100 bucks to have someone take all the factory installed junk off and do who knows what else (format?)?
Since us Mac guys have no software choices, our computers come out of the box fairly bare. :nya:

Oh yeah, I have been eyeing one of the Macbook pros. Actually the bottom one. It is a step up from the Macbook that my wife has. Been doing a lot of work out of town lately and there is just too much paper work building up to be done on the weekends. WOuld rather be spending time with my wife and daughter than doing paperwork and bids.

MudMaker 08-19-2010 09:35 PM

Wound up with Toshiba Qosmio X505-Q887Wanted another BluRay and liked the i7 and the TruBrite TFT LCD display, and LED back lighted keyboard, and the 12-Cell Lithium-ion battery, 1GB GDDR5 discrete graphics memory ... oh and the Quad Core was cool too..... :D

MudMaker 08-22-2010 04:55 PM

Go figure... It's on back-order now.... :noid: