Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile (http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tile Forum/Advice Board (http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Removing Tile Set on Nobleseal CIS (http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=124695)

t2jeff 02-08-2018 03:23 PM

Removing Tile Set on Nobleseal CIS
I'm considering removing some 2x2 square mosaic floor tile and replacing it with something else.

The 2x2's sit on:
  • ACX Plywood
  • Versabond used under Nobleseal CIS
  • Versabond used to set tiles on top of Nobleseal

Is it possible to remove tile from the Nobleseal? Is it possible to remove the Nobleseal from the plywood? What am I up against? I think I remember reading the Nobleseal is super stretchy when trying to pull/remove it.

jadnashua 02-08-2018 03:36 PM

Is that area required to be waterproof? If so, it's a bigger problem. The fleece on that stuff is what actually holds it in place...if the tile is properly installed, you'd strip off most, if not all of the fleece in the process of removing a tile. If it doesn't need to remain waterproof, you could cut the membrane, tear it up, scrap most of the thinset off, and install a new patch. Trying to get a good waterproof seal without being able to overlap the seams is the harder part.

t2jeff 02-08-2018 05:20 PM

It doesn't need to be waterproof.

Are you suggesting it could be possible to remove the tile and then just peel the CIS off the floor? Any need to remove the thinset off the ACX or just let that be?

Tool Guy - Kg 02-10-2018 12:57 PM

He's saying you could grind out the grout around the tile you want to remove, slice down through the Nobleseal with a utility knife, carefully pry/chisel/bust out the tile working the inside of the area to the outside, peel up the membrane in however many pieces it takes, then scrape off the thinset to start again.

Yes, you'll want to remove the thinset on the plywood or you'll end up with your new tile standing taller than its neighbors.

Do you have access to a oscillating tool? If so, it'll help cut down on the physical exertion you need to go through. With a grout removal blade, it'll cut down through the grout lines. And with a carbide rasp, it'll make removing the thinset on the plywood rather easy. It is also much easier to control compared to using hand tools and all the "slips" that cause irreparible damage to neighboring tiles are dramatically reduced.

t2jeff 02-12-2018 11:12 AM

I want to remove the tile on the entire floor, not just a specific area.

I wasn't sure if its easier to remove the tile and try to keep the CIS intact, or remove the tile and peel up the CIS. If I do the later, what condition would the plywood be in?

jadnashua 02-12-2018 04:53 PM

In that case, tear off the membrane with the tile. In general, it's not all that hard to scrape up the thinset on the floor. Pulling the tile up off of the membrane will destroy most of the bonding fleece, and may also loosen it from the substrate, making it mostly useless. The membrane will act like a cleavage layer, and let you tear off the tile easier than it might if they were bonded directly to something like cbu. For that type of membrane, the industry standard calls for a minimum of 50psi shear strength. A tile bonded directly to cbu could easily have 5-10x more strength in shear.

t2jeff 02-12-2018 05:46 PM

Cool, thanks for the feedback.

Sounds like the Versabond may come up off the ACX with a scraper of some sort. I was envisioning having to do some grinding of some sort.
  • Any issues with the plywood not being perfectly clean when reapplying new CIS?

jadnashua 02-12-2018 06:12 PM

You want to avoid gouging the plywood and making the surface as even as possible...lumps or humps of leftover thinset will make setting new tile tougher, especially if they're larger format. A rubbing brick can help with stuff that does not scrape up. Depends on what was used how easy it will be.

Some of the Noble membranes can be installed with an adhesive verses thinset. IF they used that, you probably wont' have a lot of crud left except for some fleece, which shouldn't be a problem.

Redlands Okie 02-12-2018 06:25 PM

A slight gouge is easy to fill in. Any humps and bumps are a lot of issues waiting to happen.

Tool Guy - Kg 02-12-2018 07:33 PM

I'd use a chipping hammer run at a shallow angle to pop the tiles up. The fact that they are only 2x2s will probably decrease the overal difficulty level as they'll pop up easier. Then, I'd slit the membrane into narrow pieces. If the membrane comes up too easy or hard, adjust the width of your slits accordingly.

When I have to remove thinset from plywood, I use a Bosch 1773AK concrete surfacer. Although my tool is several years old, this is Bosch's latest equivalent. It's rather fast, and just about dust-free when used with a good vacuum that has an appropriate filter. And it cleans the plywood well enough where it mostly looks like a new sheet of ply when I'm done.

t2jeff 02-13-2018 10:31 AM

Negative on the adhesive under the CIS, I installed everything and used Versabond with a 1/8 V notch for the CIS install, followed by a roller.

Thanks for the good tool tips on removing the tile and grinding the thinset off the plywood. Hopefully, it will be worth it!