New Product, Need Input! [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : New Product, Need Input!

StoneTooling
02-21-2012, 03:16 PM
We have been approached by a company called EZ-Niches who are looking for a distributer. I thought, what better place to get opinions than from the professionals over at the JB Forums.

They are making ABS niches for shower installs that can be tiled over. I just want to know why our demographic feels about the product or see if there is anyone out there using it already.

http://www.ez-niches.com/

Sponsored Links

Davestone
02-21-2012, 03:30 PM
I couldn't see a pic of the niches themselves,that might help folks a lot.

StoneTooling
02-21-2012, 03:32 PM
Here you go: http://www.ez-niches.com/abs-products/

We have a couple of them here. They are pretty strong but I believe Laticrete is also getting into the market with a HydroBan version.

John Bridge
02-21-2012, 05:18 PM
Can't really see anything in the specs or installation instructions. Pictures are way to small and no detail. If they face mount with the flange on top of the backer I don't like them. :)

jason1083
02-21-2012, 05:43 PM
http://www.ez-niches.com/docs/EZ-Niches-Brochure.pdf

the instructions show the product mouting over the backer board. they say apply a bead of siliconized caulk or adhesive behind the mounting flange, then skim coat of '100% premium latex thin set/ mastic' around the edges to 'feather' the Flange.

cx
02-21-2012, 05:51 PM
I couldn't see a pic of the niches themselves,that might help folks a lot. Click on their tab what says Products, Stoner.

Lotta good competition out there for that niche (no pun intended) of the market, Daniel. I'd need to see some specific advantage before you got real interested, and I don't see it on their website.

It does appear that it is a surface mount and I agree with JB that that alone makes it a non-starter for me. Instructions to use thinset mortar to feather the edge out onto the wall makes me wanna shop elsewhere.

Fact that it's made of ABS plastic but intended for direct tile bonding troubles me some, too. Says you can tile to it using "100% premium latex thinset" and I dunno what that is.

'Fraid this very thin slice of your demographic will hafta give it a pass.

My opinion; worth price charged.

tilemanct
02-21-2012, 06:05 PM
We used to distribute Duk Liners. They were a niche made of plastic. Nice concept. Lots of trouble bonding to them. The hot water caused some expansion and contraction issues. After a few customer complaints, we stopped. The better bench niches were far better and bonding issues were non existant.

John Bridge
02-21-2012, 06:34 PM
The Innovis product (Better Bench) is called the "recess-it." It has a flange that goes over the backer board. It's not as thick as this new thing, but it's there. I prefer the foam niches, such as those sold by Noble Company, that mount flush with the backer board. No need to "feather" anything out of plane., :)

Todd Stull
02-21-2012, 06:45 PM
I've installed a Noble Niche and Corner seat and liked them both! My recent ones were frame built with durrock, fabric and hydroban. I also made one out of 3/4" pink foam, kerdi fix and hydroban. Thanks for the info on the Duk liners, I was wanting to try one of those but now I don't think I want to.

ceramictec
02-21-2012, 06:49 PM
I would rather just build my own. then I can make them custom sizes and where I want.
plus I'm already waterproofing a shower so it's simple.

John Bridge
02-21-2012, 06:52 PM
We're talking about pre-made niches, Brian. Don't be tryin' to hijack this thread. :D

ceramictec
02-21-2012, 06:55 PM
that's what I mean, I would rather build my own niche and not pay for an expensive pre made one.

Cain
02-21-2012, 07:06 PM
have to agree with everyone. flange on top of backer is a no sell for me.
foam ones such as nobles, I like much better.
still rather build my own than buy one

TeomanTile
02-21-2012, 07:08 PM
I'm with Brian. There's already several products on the market exactly like these, and I don't use any of them, I'm not sure what incentive there would possibly be for someone like me to buy one of these. I can make my own custom niche the way I like it out of scrap kerdiboard for nothing (or nearly nothing), or any other of various other ways using scrap, or leftover material.

That's my input! :)

TeomanTile
02-21-2012, 07:11 PM
Yes Cain, that's te other thing, thanks!! Flange on the surface is a deal breaker, at any price when, again, it costs me nothing to build my own, and have it perfectly flat!!

:)

JTile
02-21-2012, 10:05 PM
What the others said. I don't understand the market for these except for possible DIY'ers....

Why buy something instead of just making it yourself to custom fit your layout and size of tile? I can't stand seeing a niche just thrown in a wall with no sense of symmetry.

Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
02-21-2012, 10:16 PM
I think they're popular with DIY'ers, GC's that are doing their own tile, and tile guys that need to get in and get out fast.

StoneTooling
02-22-2012, 12:06 AM
Thanks a ton guys!

Levi the Tile Guy
02-23-2012, 07:58 AM
Daniel,

Do you guys mostly deal with contractors or home owners? If contractors I don't see you selling many of them. I like all the others won't use a niche that has an overlapping flange. I do like Nobles niches but I also generally make my own. I make them out of K board while I am installing the tile and then I can customize my size and location depending on layout.

StoneTooling
02-29-2012, 01:28 PM
Sorry for missing your response Levi~!

We sell to both however our market for homeowners is pretty dedicated to our stone care products and sealers.

We have maybe 10 units of these as a test and have sold a couple but I spoke with purchasing after reading this thread and we agreed all of the points are valid.

We do a lot of business with Laticrete so will probably focus on their new Hydro Ban line come April.