Red Guard alternative??? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Red Guard alternative???

desposit
01-30-2004, 08:00 PM
Hi all,

I have a small niche in a shower I'm building to waterproof. I've framed it , and installed 15lb felt and 1/4" hardiboard. I'll tilt the sill so water drains off it when I set the tile.

Is there any other material/technique I could employ instead of the Red Guard material (which is $37.00 of which I'll only be using a small fraction for the little niche I've created?

Thanks,
Dave

Sponsored Links

Davy
01-30-2004, 08:36 PM
Hi Dave, is this niche going to get direct water spray? If you did a good job with the felt you shouldn't need to Red gard it. Did you also felt the walls behind the CBU?

Bri
01-30-2004, 09:03 PM
You could use the rest of the Red Guard on the rest of the shower?

davem
01-30-2004, 09:05 PM
To check what Davy asked, keep an eye on that same spot in your current shower while showering, if there is a same spot. :)

T_Hulse
01-31-2004, 12:40 AM
I think Davy is one of the most knowledgeable guys here, but I have to strongly disagree with you this time. ;) If it was a mud shower it wouldn't be so bad, but CBU leaves gaping holes in back & possibly a negative slope to the back gap (under the tile). If it's in the shower spray you'll have running water someday when the grout fails going behind the tile (not just drips) heading for that gap. If it's not in the major shower spray, it still gets some water & it will be cleaned with water. Risky. Do you feel lucky? Well do ya? :D
$37 is dirt cheap for waterproofing. Just be glad you don't have to buy it by the $300 bucket like some installers do. :)

desposit
01-31-2004, 06:36 AM
The niche is on to the left of the showerhead and , yes, it will get spray I'm sure of that. I was just being cheap I guess! Though I wonder, if just caulking the wonderboard seams wouldn't do the job?

Anyway, thanks for all the ideas.

dwzemens
01-31-2004, 06:43 AM
Dave:

I wish I could split a can with you, because I have two niches that I have redguarded, even though I am using waterproof Kerdi on the niche as well. I am also building a bench, and figure it can't hurt to use the Red Guard. I balked at the price, too, but then looked at the receipt for the tile and the Grohe shower fixtures and realized it was a bargain!

tileguytodd
01-31-2004, 12:10 PM
Sorry Davy, i'm with Tom on this one.Use it,without it regrets are around the corner.
My 2 cents worth :)

madmax
01-31-2004, 12:32 PM
Sheet membrane like nobleseal. My distributor selles it by the linear foot. You would probably only need 1 or 2 lf.

Davy
01-31-2004, 12:39 PM
Go ahead, everybody jump on.:D
I was thinking if it wasn't going to get direct water and he did a good job on the felt (that is folding it a way to shed the water), he'd be OK. If it's going to catch water, it'll need a membrane. ;)