backer board showers have a high failure rate [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : backer board showers have a high failure rate

valleytile
12-10-2011, 09:22 AM
why do some people still use backer boards - they cause mold, rot, and a lot damage if installed incorrectly. and it is very easy to do it wrong... apparently.

I think backer boards should be outlawed in showers- like drywall was just a couple decades ago.

Sponsored Links

java
12-10-2011, 09:26 AM
I think indoor showers should be outlawed.

Hose in the backyard would completely eliminate moldy baths.

Splinter
12-10-2011, 09:45 AM
Forget it Jason, people still cant be trusted to do it properly... I say we do away with showers altogether, and there should be a government panel formed to issue baby wipes with a guide book written on mandatory usage practices.

Backerboard will cause more death than the black plague.. The people must be warned!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Pirate
12-10-2011, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by ValleyTile:
why do some people still use backer boards - they cause mold, rot, and a lot damage if installed incorrectly. and it is very easy to do it wrong... apparently.

I think you contradict yourself and even answer your own question with your words "if installed incorrectly." It's not the backer boards that cause the mold and rot, it's the incorrect installation. An incorrect installation can cause anything to fail.

pgc555
12-10-2011, 10:14 AM
Bryan,
It seems like you are now doing a carry over from the NTCA Linked in rant that you have going.

Your NOT going to stop the use of Backer board? You should, and continue to do, mud walls - properly in your own installations - and be happy with yourself that you provide a QUALITY installation that will last a lifetime.

I'm NOT slamming you - just telling you that you a wasting time trying to convince EVERYONE that there is NO other installation technique acceptable.
You will be up against KERDI installers here on this site, so get ready.

doitright
12-10-2011, 12:35 PM
Hi Phil :)

This thread will not turn into what started as a simple question on the Linked In NTCA discussion board in the shallow section of this forum. I do agree with your response. ;)

Levi the Tile Guy
12-10-2011, 12:46 PM
How do you guys even find discussions on the NTCA website?

BTW I use backerboards all the time. I was brought up with mud, nobody in my town wants to pay for mud. So I use backerboard and cover it with either Kerdi or a quality Liquid. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that at all.

doitright
12-10-2011, 12:59 PM
Hi Levi :)

Same for me.

You need to join Linked In. Then select groups I believe. NTCA is one of them. That's where these discussions are.

cx
12-10-2011, 01:01 PM
Welcome, Bryan. :)

I'll move this to the Hangout since it's not a project thread and does sorta appear to be a discussion of technical considerations. Sorta.

Somebody please to clue me in to the link to the other rant that's being discussed. I see not links in here anywhere.

doitright
12-10-2011, 01:07 PM
Hi CX :)

You have to register or sign in to www.linkedin.com

The particular discussion in the NTCA group is located here. (http://www.linkedin.com/groups/What-is-your-biggest-pain-3292800.S.65936524?qid=0a6acf3b-3973-4409-ad18-b0f0f5e9be1b&trk=group_most_popular-0-b-ttl&goback=%2Egmp_3292800)

pgc555
12-10-2011, 01:12 PM
The comments by Bryan are missing? They were on the NTCA "LINKED-IN"
forum. It seems that the responses to Bryan's comments are there , but not his comments???? Interesting.http://www.linkedin.com/groupAnswers?viewQuestionAndAnswers=&discussionID=65936524&gid=3292800&commentID=59884771&trk=view_disc&ut=21XIurqzRRC501

Bryan , can you put your comments back up so ALL can have a chance to be enlightened?

doitright
12-10-2011, 01:55 PM
Hi Phil :)

First, I don't think Bryan deleted his own comments.

Second, I don't think this forum needs to rehash what's been said.

A new discussion may be enlightening, but the verbal abuse and name calling won't be tolerated on this forum.

Personally, I don't think the original posted question got addressed (What is your biggest pain in installing wall tiles?

From mixing the mortar to grouting, what job do you wish could be done easier, why?). It just turned into a bashing between mud set vs. backer boards.

cx
12-10-2011, 02:08 PM
Yeah, the moderators at linkedin banned that guy and took down his posts. Apparently got belligerent and abusive and commenced sending threatening emails to at least one of the participants.

So, I think we'll just stop this one right here.

If y'all wanna have a backerboard v. mud discussion, somebody start a new thread.

But I think we've had such discussions a few times, eh? :)