Schluter shower curb corner [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Schluter shower curb corner

buckley8
08-14-2011, 03:43 PM
Hello again,

I will be installing a Schluter shower kit and the curb will form an L-shape. What is the best way to join the two sides together at the corner of the L? Should I just butt the end of one to the side of the other (with mortar, of course) or should I use some sort of half-lap joint? Or does it not matter much? I've even thought about somehow drilling and pinning the curbs together for extra stiffness.

Surprisingly, I can not find any examples of this on the web, even Schluter's site. All of their instructions show straight curb showers.

Thanks,
Jim

Sponsored Links

jadnashua
08-14-2011, 03:53 PM
I think that I'd miter them and use some thinset in the joint. Because the thing has a little round-over on the edges (if I remember correctly), that would make it more seamless rather than a half-lap or similar. Once you add the thinset, then the Kerdi on top of it, it isn't going anywhere! The thinset will do a good job of holding it down and together, then when the Kerdi is on top of it tying it together as well, it should be bulletproof.

Houston Remodeler
08-14-2011, 05:22 PM
I just pin mine together with 3" deck screws and some PL Premium. The kerdi fabric over the top laminates everything together anyway.

Just sayin...

jadnashua
08-14-2011, 06:04 PM
That adhesive may work, but with some of them, the solvents will eat the thing away. If thinset will hold it to the floor, it will hold the pieces together, so that's one less thing to buy and have around!