Epoxy grout [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Epoxy grout

chardscapes
03-28-2011, 04:08 AM
Hey guys. I just finished my master bath remodel. I want the best stain protection for grout. I have heard horror stories about expoxy and polyurethane grouts drying fats and the residue not cleaning off of the tile. What are your thoughts ?

Sponsored Links

Shaughnn
03-28-2011, 06:37 AM
Hello Chardscapes,
Yes, the working time for either epoxy or urethane grouts is limited. The key is in smaller batches which you have confidence in being able to clean up completely in the allowed period. Reading and following the manufacturer's instructions is key here. If you can do that, you shouldn't have any problems working over ceramic or smooth porcelain. Textured porcelain tiles can present some difficulties in cleaning, but it's not insurmountable. I don't understand why people use epoxy or urethane grouts with natural stone though, as the tiles still need to be sealed and there is risk of staining the stone. You should never use either epoxy or urethane grouts with frosted or matte-finish glass tiles as both grouts will affect the finish badly.
Best of luck,
Shaughnn

Houston Remodeler
03-28-2011, 06:40 AM
What Shaughnn said,

We use a kitchen timer to keep us on track with epoxy grouts. The new epoxies are much friendlier than the older ones.

Have help when working the epoxy, at least to clean your sponges.

Make smaller batches

WendyHMN
03-28-2011, 08:57 AM
As a noob I haven't had any issues using epoxy grout, aside from becoming allergic to it (wear gloves). My non-allergic spouse can apply a mini size on walls or more on a floor in the allowed hour. Epoxy is different from cement in the way it sets up. Cement stays soft but gets progressively less sticky. Epoxy just gets stiffer and stiffer until it's impossible to work. There's a good chance you'll have a little residue even after cleaning. On our glazed textured porcelain (has pits but they are smooth), I just use a scrubby with vinegar water and a putty knife to perfect the finish. This scrub and scrape will even work on residue you notice after a few weeks. Don't ask me how I know. :rolleyes:

vrusso123
03-28-2011, 10:31 AM
a pinch of automatic dish washing detergent in your cleanup water works unbelievably well. works as a surfacant (makes water wetter).

chardscapes
03-29-2011, 05:21 AM
Thanks all. So is this the best way to go for stain protection is to us one of these grouts? I have an all tile shower and wat to make sure the grout stays nice.

sandbagger
03-29-2011, 09:41 PM
There's a very long thread somewhere on SpectraLock that covers just about everything you can imagine. Other shorter threads as well. This noobie did SpectraLock on a shower and vanity with no problems. In fact the results look better than my Portland jobs. Have at it. :tup1:

chardscapes
04-22-2011, 06:50 AM
CEG-LITE vs Spectralok. Which one is easier or better ?

jondon
04-22-2011, 07:04 AM
per Custom Building Products Specs:
CEG-Lite is formulated with the same recycled content found in Customís other lightweight setting materials, making it the first 100 percent solids epoxy grout that contributes to LEED certification based on recycled content, which also affects the handling of the product, giving a smoorther consistency providing increased spread ability.

CEG-Lite is fairly new while SpectraLock has been around a long time and has been improved along the way. Don't know if you are a DIYer or Pro but we have many DIYers here who have used SpectraLock successfully, they followed directions!

One thing I will say in favor of Custom Building thinsets is I do like they're lightweight thinsets. So if this grout is formulated along the same way a thinking using recycled material then it may be easier to spread. We are going the route of everything being lightweight, cement board to Polystyrene for ease of installation. So Custom is following in those footsteps of lightweight technology, less fatigue trowel. You use a trowel enuf, you'll know what that means....good luck:tup2:

chardscapes
04-22-2011, 09:12 AM
I am a DIY'er . Do I use a special float ?

tileguynky
04-22-2011, 10:10 AM
You want to use an epoxy float. They are generally stiffer than a regular float. The stiffer float works great with the sticky epoxy. Allows you to clean more off the tile during the application process. If you have never worked with epoxy, make a sample board with some if the scraps trying to create the same size joints as the shower tile. After the board dries, stand it up and practice with the epoxy grout. You can buy a mini kit of Spectralock at most Lowe's for about $25. It will be money well spent. Also do a search on Spectralock and find the never ending thread. Read it through for a lot of great tips and tricks.
Posted via Mobile Device

BronsonB
04-22-2011, 10:11 AM
For epoxy grouts, there are special floats that are needed. They should be marked as epoxy floats. Mine had a hard green float area, and I think it was in the $8 - $10 range. I also bought an epoxy margin float. If you're having to grout walls, I think the margin float might make things easier. Just make sure it's not a soft spongey float.

Gukki
04-22-2011, 12:12 PM
We are noobies too and got very good results with Spectralock.
We started out with an epoxy float, we had some plastic joint knifes lying about, used them to pick up dropped epoxy, and ended up using these joint knives exclusively to apply the grout. They worked great for us. Less droppings!
Also, we took Wendy's advice on her thread and taped plastic "bibs" under the area to be grouted. Picking up dropped grout from there instead off the dirty floor saved our backs and let us use up the last little bit of this $$$ grout, almost no waste.

HomeDepotAssociate
04-22-2011, 02:53 PM
grouts drying fats and the residue not cleaning off of the tile

Not even trying to be nitpicky here, but I legitimately thought you were referring to some sort of chemical, "fats", that maybe existed on the tile that doesnt ordinarily dry with non-epoxy grout

and had a good giggle once i realized the sillyness in my overthinking

ceramictec
04-22-2011, 02:59 PM
it was a typo.......... Fats = FAST

Bandit
02-29-2012, 01:07 PM
@BronsonB
On this post, you mentioned you got an epoxy margin float.
johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1078414&postcount=12

I have been trying to find one for some time - people telling me such a thing does not exist.
Can you tell me the make/model of yours and where you found it?
Thanks.