Old job - Drain Issue... [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Old job - Drain Issue...

billygoat
04-13-2011, 06:49 PM
OK...here's the scenario. ~40 year old tile shower (pan constructed from ground up as follows: 2 x 10 joist 16" oc, 5/8 ply, 4#/sq' lead, ~1"mortar bed, thinset, 4" tile). Drain is something I've never seen -- cast 2" trap (mounted from below plywood floor) with a brass insert that threads inside the cast trap (via threads in trap's boss) from above. The drain was half-a##ed mounted and it appears that some on-site engineering occurred. Anyway, it failed and allowed water to leak below to the first floor ceiling in living room.

I was able to carefully remove 8" sq of tile from above, along with thinset and mortar to the lead liner...very tedious, very careful. I now have a clean lead liner but all conventional drains that I know of for built up showers will not work with this set up. As well, I am working this repair with a friend (master plumber) and he's never seen anything like this set up OR a fix for same. Our goal is to replace drain, 8" square of tile and move on. The homeowners would like us to salvage the existing work (they're in their 80's) and come up with a solution.

I'm looking for a drain system that might work with this pan config and wonder if there are any products out there in use by repair pros...anyone?

Sponsored Links

dhagin
04-13-2011, 07:12 PM
Howdy, got a first name we can call ya?

Sounds like you're a pro? I'm guessing no permit?

Can you cleanup what you have and reuse? Why won't a clamping drain work?

mossypath
04-13-2011, 07:25 PM
Not sure but you could look at Ebbe drains . Down the page there are a few different choices . http://www.ebbe-america.com/Installation.htm

Good luck !

Houston Remodeler
04-13-2011, 07:30 PM
That lead pan still have life in it? :uhh:

billygoat
04-13-2011, 07:43 PM
Hi Guys -- Bill or Billy by the way!

Not a pro, but I've been in and out of stone/tile for a lot of my career...can't seem to make an escape!

C & R -- The lead looks really good.

Mossy -- Looks like Ebbe/Zurn might be a possibility...

dhagin -- No...no permit! Clamping drain...can you elaborate?

dhagin
04-13-2011, 08:03 PM
A clamping drain is what that shower should have had in the first place.

http://www.oatey.com/Channel/Shared/ProductGroupDetail/115/Shower_Drains_for_Tile_Shower_Bases.html

The Ebbe's in Tammy's link are clamping drains too.

billygoat
04-13-2011, 08:15 PM
Dana -- thank you; wasn't sure if I was missing something. And agreed, re clamping drain in the first place. Are these drains meant to work with lead liners, or are they designed for use with more flexible, modern vinyl liners?

dhagin
04-13-2011, 08:38 PM
Get a c.i. drain.

http://www.oatey.com/Channel/Shared/ProductGroupDetail/116/151+Cast+Iron+Shower+Drain.html

Ebbe also makes c.i. drains.

billygoat
04-13-2011, 08:42 PM
Dana -- I'm guessing the CI drain installs (in principal) exactly as the PVC units would to PVC/CPE liners?

dhagin
04-13-2011, 08:49 PM
More or less. The cast drains typically don't have a 'recess' in the lower flange, so work best with lead, copper, etc... Still have to seal the liner to the lower flange though.

billygoat
04-13-2011, 08:55 PM
I'll talk to the plumber about these -- the plumbing and its' connections are the least of the worry...I just want to get the best seal possible at the drain/pan.