3cm Granite Shower Shelf [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : 3cm Granite Shower Shelf

ZagFan
04-09-2011, 12:49 PM
We ordered a slab of 3cm granite for a countertop and thought it would be a nice touch to include a couple granite shelves in the shower that matched. (we are getting ready to paint on the blue laticrete hyrdoban later today on the hardi). You can see in the attached that the first shelf will sit on the hardibacker so the weight of that shelf should not be a problem.

I'm concerned about the second shelf which we planned to mount about 20 inches up from the first. With the 3cm granite shelf, it will weigh about 20lbs. If we tiled up to the bottom of the second shelf and then rested the second granite shelf on the top of the tile (the shelf is measured to span the entire length from hardi to hardi), is this too much weight for the tile when the thin set dries? While the thinset dries we could support the shelf but do we risk having the granite shelf crush our tile when we remove the support?

Is there a better way to support this second shelf than on the edges of the tile?

Thanks

Sponsored Links

johntrent
04-09-2011, 01:14 PM
Keith - looks like you will have your shelf supported on 3 sides by your tile - is that correct?

If so there will not be a problem in the tile or thin set supporting the weight of your granite.

blue laticrete hyrdoban you mean HydroBarrier, right? :)

dhagin
04-09-2011, 03:49 PM
I agree with John. The tiles are plenty strong to hold a shelf, even if it's in a corner and only supported on 2 sides.

Mortar bond strength for tile over any substrate is required to meet at least a 50 psi shear strength test. That's 50# for every square inch of mortar behind every tile. :nod:

ZagFan
04-09-2011, 08:34 PM
I think Laticrete makes both:

LATICRETE Hydro Ban is a thin, load bearing waterproofing/crack
isolation membrane that DOES NOT require the use of fabric in the
field, coves or corners. LATICRETE Hydro Ban is a single component
self curing liquid rubber polymer that forms a flexible, seamless
waterproofing membrane. LATICRETE Hydro Ban bonds directly to a
wide variety of substrates.

Thank you all for your quick responses. The shelf will be supported on 3 sides on top the tile. I will keep you posted with an "after" pic.

cx
04-09-2011, 08:42 PM
Welcome, Keith. :)(we are getting ready to paint on the blue laticrete hyrdoban later today on the hardi)I think Jon was pointing out that Hydroban is not blue in color. You can paint on a blue waterproofing, or you can paint on Hydroban, but you can't do both. :)

Be sure to get a wet film thickness gauge with your liquid-applied membrane. You're likely to be a little surprised at what is required to meet the manufacturer's requirements and get a proper application.

My opinion; worth price charged.

ZagFan
04-16-2011, 08:36 PM
Initially, we really liked to switch tile directions between the two shelves because the pattern on the tile is so minimal. Here's a picture of the straight to brick transition done today. The 3cm shelf goes in tomorrow and then we finish to the ceiling. I think I need some faith that going back to straight lines is going to look good but I question whether it starts to look too busy. Should we continue with brick to the ceiling? Any pros want to weigh in on our pattern?

Toddman
04-16-2011, 08:49 PM
Run the brick pattern to the ceiling.

cx
04-16-2011, 09:01 PM
Keith, please keep all your project questions on this thread so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. We can give it a more generic title any time you'd like to suggest one. :)

dhagin
04-17-2011, 11:53 AM
What Todd said. :tup1:

jadnashua
04-17-2011, 01:52 PM
Unless you were changing to a different tile, changing the pattern would probably look weird...

ZagFan
04-22-2011, 10:59 PM
thanks for all your help jbridge forum! Granite shelves are done. I saw a post somewhere else on the forum that a guy had all this remnant granite and didn't know what to do with it. here's an idea.