Tile spacing on walls [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Tile spacing on walls

staticjess
04-08-2011, 09:17 AM
I am currently working on putting new tile in my bathroom. I have seen conflicting info on how much space to leave between the tile and walls/bathtubs. Does anyone know the best recomendation for this? Thanks.

Sponsored Links

Muddman
04-08-2011, 09:25 AM
for the tub usually at least 1/8", don't know what you mean when you say between tile and walls though.

staticjess
04-08-2011, 10:04 AM
Sorry, I guess I wasn't very clear. I mean how much of a gap do I leave between the tiles on the floor and the drywall? There is a baseboard that will cover a slight gap, but I don't know if the tiles should touch the wall, or leave a small gap, like 1/8 or 1/4 inch. I would think leaving a small gap would be needed to account for any expansion, but not sure.

cx
04-08-2011, 10:07 AM
Welcome, Jessica. :)

That would depend somewhat on the size of the tile installation, but you'd want a minimum of 1/4" between the floor tile and any solid perimeter surface, including sheetrock.

If there's any problem obtaining a gap from sheetrock, simply cut out a little of the bottom of the sheetrock and leave a gap from the sole plate of the framing.

My opinion; worth price charged.