How to stagger different sized tiles [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : How to stagger different sized tiles

Augeydoggy
04-08-2011, 07:16 AM
I am planning a backsplash using 3x6 glass subway tile. I want to also insert a line of 1x6 for contrast (subway will be white, 1x6 green, and will also make the height of the backsplash almost perfect). It will be the second row.

When I draw it out, staggering the liner row to the first row leaves the third and the first the same, which looks odd. So can I have the liner row matched with the first row, then start the stagger with the third row? Attached is drawing to show what I mean.

Sponsored Links

jondon
04-08-2011, 07:44 AM
Douglas,

I think the drawing looks fine, with the liner matching the subway tile. I would more than likely stagger every row, with that 1" row in green. With a drawing you are not seeing the color just black and white. If you lay out the actual glass tiles like you are going to use them you'll see the focus is more on the color. I would lay it out both ways and see which catches your eye:tup1:

You could make a sample board too, then hold it up against the backsplash.

dhagin
04-08-2011, 10:50 AM
Lay out the tiles on the counter-top both ways, with liner offset & aligned with row below. Have customer (or your wife) choose the one they like best. :)

Are you sure the liners are exactly the same size as the tile? They often are not. ;)

Augeydoggy
04-08-2011, 12:29 PM
Well, the liners are 1 x 6 and the tiles are 3 x6, and they are from the same Daltile series, so they should be close enough to line up a single row (I don't have them yet). I am planning a 1/16 grout line, but could fudge slightly if necessary. I don't have them yet but will definitely try it dry before putting them up. I was actually thinking was it okay to have parallel grout lines at all, or did they have to be staggered like drywall or flooring, but I since realized that is a silly question.