Cracks in the mud. Is this OK? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

View Full Version : Cracks in the mud. Is this OK?

04-06-2011, 08:45 PM
The first tile job I did, I bought a prefabbed shower base. It was great, but I figured I would try to save the $500 and do the mud on my own. Everything seemed as if it were going ok until it dried with a bunch of cracks. (see pciture) Is this OK or do I need to rip it out and start over?

Sponsored Links

04-06-2011, 08:51 PM
George, looking at the drain, this looks like the preslope that's under the liner. I wouldn't worry about it for the preslope but when you do the next mudbed on top of the liner, you need to get it right. It needs to be dry pack, that's 5 sand to 1 portland and only enough water to make it damp.

04-06-2011, 08:56 PM
But that's exactly what I did. Could it be that I used playsand or possibly not enough water?

Thanks again,

04-06-2011, 09:32 PM
Hi George, one or the other. There shouldn't be any cracks in your mud bed. :)

04-07-2011, 05:51 AM
George, did you put down tarpaper and lath on the subfloor before placing your mud? Did you get on the mud bed before, say, 24 hours after placement?

Did you use too much water?

04-07-2011, 09:51 AM
Yes I put down the tar paper andf lath first, and no I didn't go near it for a few days as I was away.

Im begining to think it was the play sand. I'm going to switch that out on the final base.

Thanks again!