Modified Thinset Mistake? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Modified Thinset Mistake?

glblue
04-04-2011, 08:00 AM
Hello all,

I've read a lot of old posts for help with my shower installation project - this forum has been very helpful. Now I think I need some specific advice on a mistake tiling my shower walls.

Specifically, I added a latex modifier to a polymer modified thinset when placing the first few tiles on the shower wall (the bottom row). The tile is 12x12 porcelain, the thinset is HD Custom 2 modified thinset, the substrate is hardiebacker with redgard (a primer coat plus two regular coats).

Should I remove these tiles and start over? Is this possible without damaging the shower walls. What will happen if I leave it as is?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links

bbcamp
04-04-2011, 08:03 AM
The trouble is that your modified-modified thinset may not ever fully dry out. The good news is that it will be easy to remove. You may not damage the waterproofing, but if you do, apply a couple more coats and all will be good.

HD Custom 2 modified thinsetI am not familiar with this product. Do you have a link?

glblue
04-04-2011, 05:46 PM
Bob,

Thanks for the quick reply. I had to wait until I got home to check the brand again. It's a Home Depot product from Custom Building Products. The bag says its a "Fortified Thinset Mortar" for porcelain tile. The Admix is also from Custom Building Products. The bottle says it is for use with Multiset Modified Thinset Mortar. Both the mortar and the Admix have a logo or marking showing a green square with the words "2 Set" in it.

FWIW, the tiles seem to be stuck to the wall rock hard.

tileguynky
04-04-2011, 05:56 PM
Bob and Greg,
The "2 Set" refers to their steps to install. Most of their cbu and slc have 1 Prep written on them.
Which modified thinset do you have? The VersaBond is a lightly modified, you might be ok with it and an admix. Have you called custom's tech support.

glblue
04-06-2011, 05:40 AM
I called customer support - they say the only downside is that I spent money an admix that wasn't needed. The liquid latex will neither help nor hurt, given that the thinset is already a "modified" product. This seems to validate what I've observed...the mortar appears to have cured/dryed and the tiles are holding tight to the walls.

Thanks all for your help