Basement Tile Installation - Semi-Cleaned Carpet Adhesive [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Basement Tile Installation - Semi-Cleaned Carpet Adhesive

casemax
04-03-2011, 09:46 PM
Hello,

I have recently removed carpet from my basement and plan to replace with tile. I have cleaned most of the old carpet adhesive from the floor, but I want to be sure I have the slab clean enough before continuing on to install the tile. I have read about the advantages of using Ditra, but my budget won't permit that, so I'm taking my chances.

I cleaned the slab using scarifiers, and the majority was removed. I have included 3 photos to illustrate the current state of the slab. The last photo shows a bit more adhesive remaining near the wall where the scarifier could not adequately reaach. I thought I would go around the basement and manually remove as much as possible. Is this necessary? Do the first 2 images appear to be adequate for accepting/bonding to the tile? Thanks for any advice.

Casey

Sponsored Links

cx
04-03-2011, 09:49 PM
Welcome back, Casey. :)

Sprinkle some water onna floor and tell us what it does.

casemax
04-04-2011, 07:31 AM
Thanks, CX. In my time away, I had forgotten how much I enjoy looking through the forum.

I sprinkled water on it this morning, and it seems to pool up. There's no beading up of the water. Is this the type of info you're looking for? Thanks.

Casey

cx
04-04-2011, 07:37 AM
Precisely, Casey., but I don't think I understand the result. ...and it seems to pool up. There's no beading up of the water.
The water did/did not readily soak into the concrete surface?

You used no chemical strippers in removing this adhesive?

casemax
04-04-2011, 07:47 AM
To be honest, I think I did more than "sprinkle" -- that's why some of it pooled.

But, yes, the water does soak into the concrete. I know this from the clean up I've done thus far. I did use some chemicals (Sentinel 626 and Sentinel 747) for removing some of the adhesive.

Casey

casemax
04-04-2011, 01:29 PM
To clarify, if the water soaks into the concrete, does that mean I'm good to go? Thanks.

cx
04-04-2011, 01:38 PM
If that's the case everywhere, I'd say you're OK from that aspect. But knowing you used chemical strippers (not familiar with either product) I'd worry some about some areas of the surface being "sealed." The mechanically scarified areas should be fine, although in your photos the floor doesn't look like it got scratched up much. Maybe I just can't see it well.

And yes, I'd scrape or grind around the walls, too. Get as close as you reasonably can.

My opinion; worth price charged.

casemax
04-04-2011, 01:45 PM
Thanks, CX.

I have read of scrubbing with a TSP solution to remove any potential sealant. Would you recommend doing that?

cx
04-04-2011, 05:20 PM
Casey, I don't know what TSP would do to that glue residue if anything. Bigger problem might be actually finding TSP. I'm told it's still available, but I've not seen it on the shelf anyway for several years now. Our benevolent government protecting us from ourselves in just one more unknowable way. :rolleyes:

But if you find some, it's a good cleaner for concrete, just don't know if it will help with your glue.

My opinion; worth price charged.