Tile on Basement Concrete [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Tile on Basement Concrete

PATileGuy
04-03-2011, 08:52 AM
Hello AlL,

I want to tile my basement floor rooms. We have concrete floors with some cracks in the floor. There was carpet on the floor but we had to remove them due to a flood since the sump pump went out on us.

There is a B-Dry system in place already and we replaced the sump pump.

What is the best way to lay the tile on the floor?

Will try to post pictures of the floor.

Sponsored Links

cx
04-03-2011, 09:00 AM
Welcome, Shakiem. :)

That B-Dry website (http://www.bdry.com/) is pretty good about not giving us any information at all about what might have been done to correct whatever problems you had in your basement.

How 'bout you tell us just what you've done, had done, and currently have down there, with emphasis on just what's on the concrete floor now?

Mountain Tile
04-03-2011, 10:14 AM
How big are these cracks? Are there expansion joints in the concrete? I like to use Ditra over concrete, not a big fan of tiling directly over concrete. Depending on the size of the cracks you may have to use a crack suppression also.

PATileGuy
04-03-2011, 12:16 PM
Thanx for the quick replies.

Before there was carpet over the concrete directly. It was like that when we purchased the home along with the B-Dry system.

Never had any leaks before the sump pump went out.

The carpets in the room did feel damp at times before the rain flood.

Sump pump was replaced and about 3 1/2 inches of water was cleaned out. The carpets thrown away and now just a bare concrete floor with cracks and what looks like peeling paint.

Posting some pics

PATileGuy
04-03-2011, 12:29 PM
Here are some pics

Mountain Tile
04-03-2011, 03:26 PM
Ok, you need to remove the paint on the concrete, it could be a bond breaker. Then you need to use some crack isolation membrane over the cracks, Hydroban or Redgaurd would work. Then Ditra, then Tile. Atleast that is how I would do it. Good luck!

PATileGuy
04-03-2011, 03:45 PM
Awesome! Thanks

Mountain Tile
04-03-2011, 04:59 PM
Some finished pics would be great, Just check in with us if you need more advice.

PATileGuy
04-03-2011, 07:39 PM
I will