Marble Mosaic Backsplash [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Marble Mosaic Backsplash

BS800119
03-30-2011, 10:51 AM
Hi all,
I think I need some help. And from what I've read and heard from some fellow DIYers this is the place to find it. Thanks in advance to anyone willing to lend a helping hand.
Here's the situation. I'm in the process of putting up a marble mosaic backsplash for my bathroom sink. It's 4 inches wide and runs as a backsplash and then as a highlight line through the 3 walls of my shower/tub surround. Looks nice - that's why we bought it. But I didn't thoroughly think through the grouting of this mosaic. It has brocken rock and cut rock and is very uneven.
I've got a couple questions:
What is the proper way to grout this? The grout lines are 1/16 - 3/32 thick and I have a sanded grout. Use a bag? Use a float? Some details on procedure would be appreciated
Should I put a sealant on it before grouting or just after? I was using TileLab due to it's convenient product placement at Home Depot but have decided to purchase Aqua Mix Sealers Choice Gold.
Thanks,

Sponsored Links

skcasper
03-30-2011, 03:07 PM
I also have marble mozaic similar to yours. Mine is "tumbled", not raw edges. Your is on the wall though-mine still in boxes :rolleyes: they are 12" square tiles and I plan on covering a wall from the lav top to the ceiling. I have grouted the river rock pebble type of stuff before-it's tougher than tile, but not awful. These do look like they will be more challenging. I am watching this thread to see what kind of answers you get! Thanks for asking! :yo:

Rd Tile
03-30-2011, 05:53 PM
Use a float, grout it with the same grout used for the rest of the install, seal it first, easier to clean.

Once it starts to haze over start cleaning it, shouldn't be a problem, sponge should get it all off, if not, use a toothbrush for stubborn areas.

BS800119
03-31-2011, 09:19 AM
Thanks Ritchie. That's the best news for me. :postitbg: I can use a float but a grout bag would be a new skill.
Good luck on your project Sam.

skcasper
03-31-2011, 10:48 AM
Thanks Brett! I probably need all the well-wishing I can get! I hope my marble wall looks as good as your border. Great colors you chose! Stay tuned! :wave:

BS800119
02-17-2012, 02:42 PM
Floating it in worked well. Scratched up my float a bit and I ended up wiping a lot of grout off with my sponge but it worked. I used a stiff brush to clean the faces of the tile and was careful not to pull any out from between. I sealed it before applying the grout. This was a lot of work. Thanks for the help and advice.