Waste water [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Waste water

Don Monfils
03-23-2011, 08:09 PM
What do you guys do with your waste water on tile jobs?
I was reading a article in FCI mag. about this.

Sponsored Links

Arimert
03-23-2011, 08:13 PM
On a new construction job site I just dump it on the ground .

thuffner3
03-23-2011, 08:15 PM
My guys generally try to find loose mulch area's or gravel and dump it there.
Residential is more difficult.
We have dumped it storm sewers before but most froun on this because of water shed or run off.
If you have enough buckets, I transfer used water to another and let the sludge built up and get hard. the process is a little bit time comsuming as you have to dump back and forth until the sludge is in one bucket. But it works.
You can always look to getting a cheesclothe bag and placeing it away from the property a bit and let that filter your water out.

Peace
Neil

ceramictec
03-23-2011, 08:27 PM
Neil,

easier way is to let the dirty buckets settle until the next day.
then carefully pour off the clear water and dump settled stuff into a trash bucket.

Don Monfils
03-23-2011, 08:27 PM
I tried to post a link to the article.
I can't do it:scratch:

Topspin
03-23-2011, 08:45 PM
My waist water is what I call that spare tire I carry around my midsection. Just water weight I say.

Really tho, I cap the buckets to drain on the weekends and separate at home. That's when I can't dump the water out on site.

muskymike
03-23-2011, 09:25 PM
I do like Brian said at remodel jobs. Only problem is I fergit to dump the bucket and now I have about 6 buckets that are frozen solid skank mud. :tazebro: That reminds me, I have a bucket inna back of the truck now from the job I just finished. :bonk:

duneslider
03-23-2011, 09:59 PM
I pour it on the lawn. Never had anyone question it either.

Cain
03-23-2011, 10:09 PM
I do as Brian said also. on houses that have overgrowth or wooded areas, I sometimes dig a small hole with my foot, and fill in at finish.
when I was younger I had a customer flip out because I dumped in his bushes, never again.

silvercitytile
03-23-2011, 10:33 PM
i always ask the client where a safe place would be for clean out. usually in gravel or in a hole then cover up

tileman2000
03-23-2011, 10:42 PM
I ask first also if there's anyone home at the time. Usually gravel,under decks or wooded areas.

Something tells me the article Don is talking about frowns upon this.

silvercitytile
03-23-2011, 10:45 PM
yes it more than likely does. i would say that when workin with epoxy products we sould take more care.

tilejoe
03-23-2011, 11:00 PM
usually the kitchen sink. if not there then the driveway or front porch. Right on the flowers is good too.

Levi the Tile Guy
03-23-2011, 11:00 PM
I pour it on the lawn. Never had anyone question it either.

REALLY???

I don't go to the extreme of taking it home and cleaning it, but I sure don't dump it on their lawn...I do like Jeff and ask where I can clean out my buckets...If by some chance they won't let me clean up onsite - I trash the bucket(s). What if I take them home then do clean out that wastes 15 minutes of my time...Buckets cost $2.22 so if I throw away 2 that would take me 15 minutes to clean, that's what? about $18 an hour

What they have flowers in PA Joe? I did catch a helper pouring grout water down a bathtub once though!

silvercitytile
03-23-2011, 11:13 PM
man dont u hate that when you are inside laying away and ask the green help to go mix another bucket. i finish with what i got then go outside and see whats takin so long. walk out side and my mechanic Gabe is sweeping this guy all over the driveway. he threw the dirty bucket water all over the new stuco. luckly he didnt get caught by me :D

MarkTarkus
03-24-2011, 12:40 AM
I drink it.

Jhereg
03-24-2011, 12:49 AM
I like to let it settle for easy cleaning later, but that's not always possible. Especially on the last day of the job. Asking the customer for a good place to dump buckets of water with sediment keeps me out of trouble because they said to put it there. Customer today told me to pour it at the fence so it went into his neighbors property because there was a property line dispute anyway. :stick:

If there's no way to get permission for a spot I've also grabbed a shovel from a garage, dig a hole in a bark area or gravel (seems like everyone here uses bark in their yards) pour it in and once it drains, put back the bark.

Dave Taylor
03-24-2011, 02:46 AM
Mark wrote: I drink it.
:suspect:

coping skills
03-24-2011, 06:32 AM
Landscaping, flower gardens, vegetable gardens, anywhere ph sensitive plants are grown. :D

fn_benthayer
03-24-2011, 06:45 AM
As my brother who works for the DEP says; "Dilution, is the solution"

evan1968
03-24-2011, 08:12 AM
Right down the drain of the nearest sink...isnt that where everyone pours it??:rolleyes::shrug:

Levi the Tile Guy
03-24-2011, 08:45 AM
I drink it.

So that's what's wrong with yah!!!:devil:

Calgary Dave
03-24-2011, 12:37 PM
Those that said "nearest sink"....surely you're joking right? If I EVER caught any of my Helpers doing that or the toilet, they'd be fired on the spot. Watched a store spend about $5,000 on their drains because some moron Tileguy was dumping his wash water down the janitors sink drain. Grout Sediment collected in the P-trap and had to be jack-hammered out. It was below the slab!!!

evan1968
03-24-2011, 12:53 PM
some moron Tileguy was dumping his wash water down the janitors sink drain

Damn...i'm busted again! No,wait..im Evan1968 and not Tileguy.:wave:

Levi the Tile Guy
03-24-2011, 01:24 PM
Whew and I'm Levi The Tile Guy so I am good to go too:D

custombuilt
03-24-2011, 05:01 PM
Gravel driveways are great, or in the woods somewhere inconspicuous, but I usually let it settle a bit first.

muskymike
03-24-2011, 07:54 PM
Those that said "nearest sink"....
I remember bout 25 years ago when I was working with these carpenters, the tile guys were dumping their stuff down the laundry sink. Bout 3 days later the HO said the drain was clogged. The HO's were set up inna basement with their kitchen and living quarters. Cost the tile guys dearly to have the drain rodded out. I also remember one job, the tile guys throwing the skank water out the window of the second floor inna snow. Little did they know that under the snow was a concrete slab. :shake:

Calgary Dave
03-24-2011, 08:02 PM
I remember bout 25 years ago when I was working with these carpenters, the tile guys were dumping their stuff down the laundry sink. Bout 3 days later the HO said the drain was clogged. The HO's were set up inna basement with their kitchen and living quarters. Cost the tile guys dearly to have the drain rodded out. I also remember one job, the tile guys throwing the skank water out the window of the second floor inna snow. Little did they know that under the snow was a concrete slab.

Hahahaha.....Working for a union shop years ago, we were doing a large reno on an old apartment building. From about the 12th floor we had a couple of grouters that were throwing the wash water over the balcony. Problem was, it was white grout, and the building was a dark gray, exposed aggregate concrete. The WHOLE side of the building turned white. They spend a week on genie chairs washing the windows and scrubbing the concrete with mureatic acid.

muskymike
03-24-2011, 08:09 PM
:lol1: I had this kid working for me and he threw some skank water outside. I asked him where he threw it and he said off the front of the house. I tole him get the hose out and wash off alla stone that was in front for landscaping. He always asked me were to dump the water after that. :yeah:

duneslider
03-24-2011, 11:33 PM
What the heck do you guys have in your buckets? Really, my water is just dirty water. All that is recognizable is sand. Not certain how adding a little sand to our wonderful dense clay will do anything but improve the lawn. I don't do a lot of epoxy so I can't say that I know what that would do to a lawn but the water I am pouring out is just "muddy" water. Sure the pH might be a little higher than what is already there but from my experience I have not seen any issues from dumping it on the lawn.

I have done some work in yard that were "extremely" well taken care of and I was a little hesitant to dump my water out, in those cases I dumped it in the neighbors yard. :devil:

In all seriousness, what will the water do to the lawn cause I haven't seen any ill effects? It does make fresh snow look pretty bad.

MudMaker
03-24-2011, 11:40 PM
If perimeter gravel handy... there. or... some mulch fer from the house.. Divy the bad stuff up betwix two buckets and dilute..... Then on lawn..... Never do a thick murky batch onna lawn though...:shades:
Usually, I like to let it settle and dump it out the second or third day.. Dry is better than murky muddy stuff.. :D

Levi the Tile Guy
03-25-2011, 08:46 AM
In all seriousness, what will the water do to the lawn cause I haven't seen any ill effects? It does make fresh snow look pretty bad.

Bryan that water will have some Portland in it also, and all the polymers and anything else the companies use to make thinset/grout. I assure you it can kill the grass, maybe you have been lucky in the past. Also it will have little chunks of either mush or semi cured material that I'm sure Home Owners will love to hit with their lawn mowers.

Jhereg
03-25-2011, 09:31 AM
Saw or grout water in the greass.... A nice big ugly stain that lasts a lot longer than the next rain. Couple good mowings not to mention any tile bits that will be stepped on by kids or customer.... Not a good thing.

Once when I was a rookie I had the idea to dump 3/4 bucket of grout water (the lawn was manicured and no obvious place to dump) into the porta-potty. Little did I know they actually weigh what they pickup for charging purposes and they, and my boss, got a call when the numbers for the week just didn't add up. Never again.

Levi the Tile Guy
03-25-2011, 12:35 PM
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Never knew the weighed them...I like to drop big rock in the vent tube when my guys are in there...It gives them a nice splash or scare either or I'm usually happy with the results.

Another good one for lippy employees when it is hot is to park the truck right up next to the door so they can't get out for a few. After about 15 minutes they come out soaking in sweat and generally don't run their mouths any more for at least a day or two :D

Jhereg
03-25-2011, 09:28 PM
I've tossed a few rock into the side of one once I know the guy inside has 'settled in'. Even slapped the side of one with a 2x4 but I thought that might just be a little mean. :devil:

Houston Remodeler
03-25-2011, 09:50 PM
Set off the backup alarm on the truck and start pushing over the port-o-potty

I like to drop big rock in the vent tube when my guys are in there :lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1: Never heard of that one.

muskymike
03-25-2011, 09:54 PM
Remind me never to work fer you Levi! :eek: That blue stuff they put in there prolly wouldn't come off you fer weeks!

Levi the Tile Guy
03-25-2011, 10:04 PM
What can I say I like to have fun at work it makes the day go buy faster, especially when I have whiny employees I don't put up with that crap. :cheers:

ceramictec
03-25-2011, 10:17 PM
a 2x4 to the side like swinging a bat scares the living sh:x:t out of them good !

duneslider
03-27-2011, 09:46 PM
I got to be honest here, I have been dumping water on lawns for 15 years and have never seen ill effects. Maybe you all have different grass or something. Around here we water our lawns nearly everyday and if there happens to be a "stain" left from a little dirty water it will be gone as soon as those sprinklers come on early the next morning. The vast majority of my work is from repeat customers, if I had ruined their lawn they would have let me know and wouldn't have referred me to all their friends, family, and neighbors.

Again, what the heck do you guys have in your water buckets? I don't have any chunks of stuff, solids get thrown away. I really can't see diluted portland hurting much of anything. :shrug:

Mountain Tile
03-27-2011, 10:33 PM
Levi, when you pull the truck against the door, pull the truck up enough to tilt the potty but not tipping it over, this makes them sweat a little more.
As for the water, take the tank lid off the toilet, this makes a great place for water with lots of grout:devil: Kidding! I redid a job once, the first guy did this, cost him a toilet. I let the solids settle, thats not always an option though, my old boss taught me to fling the bucket really hard, broadcasting the dirty water, spreading it out so much, you really cant notice. That is if there is no bushes or compost pile or weeds to throw it in.

Jhereg
03-27-2011, 11:48 PM
Waste water to me means grout water, water from bucket I spin my whip in to clean it off after mixing some thinset, water from the saw.

While putting it on the lawn means it will get clipped soon, and your repeat customers may love you, I've had homeowners who freak out over the smallest stain on their manicured lawns. Even the spray from my saw sitting in the back yard ended up costing me 30 minutes of time while I wiped off every leaf of a bush because they weren't happy with the clean-up provided by a hose with a high-pressure nozzle. Still a little white haze on the leaves.

It's just not worth the hassle anymore. By asking each homeowner for a safe place to dump dirty water, I'm never on the hook and they know that I care enough to ask where sometime some other guy on their property may not, and that sticks in their mind.

Topspin
03-28-2011, 12:05 AM
I'm a gaget guy, so I got something that looks like this years ago. Still use it. Just a bucket strainer. Mine has a bigger hole'd screen than this one - sold at Amazon for $10 or so.

When I don't do the dirty work at home, I pour my skanky bucket into an empty bucket with the screen in it, pour out the water from that one on gravel or grass, then flip the gook into whatever garbage bag or pail that I am tossing out. When the HO wasn't asked in advance, I only do it when the coast is clear and have a hose in hand to dilute. A quick spray and its clean and ready to go again.

Additionally, I've been cleaning buckets out at home on the grass in the same spot for years. Grass grows just fine there, only the dirt underneith is kinda light porcelain colored instead of dirt colored now. Hasn't killed a thing - not even the moles seem to mind.

Grovertile
03-28-2011, 12:28 AM
Levi, you'll like this one.... When I still landscaped I had an employee with a mouth. Knew everything, you know the type. One day he was really rubbin me wrong and asked me what to do next. I had him dig a 100' trench to the back of the house, when he was done he asked me what to do next. I said"fill it back in"

muskymike
03-28-2011, 06:46 AM
:lol1:

Cain
03-28-2011, 07:28 AM
Boss Paul: That ditch is Boss Kean's ditch. And I told him that dirt in it's your dirt. What's your dirt doin' in his ditch?
Luke: I don't know, Boss.
Boss Paul: You better get in there and get it out, boy.

from one of the greatest movies of all time.

muskymike
03-28-2011, 05:51 PM
You got that right Cain. :tup1: :bow: "Still shaken Boss!":uhh:

Levi the Tile Guy
03-28-2011, 06:08 PM
That's Great Dane. :lol2:

When I have a guy that is looking like he needs something to do, I have him pull out all of the spacers and wedges, and clean all the thinset off each and everyone. The rubber spacers are easy, the hard plastic ones that I get from Rainondi are a bit more tough, and the wedges take forever too...After they have to spend an hour or two doing that they generally don't sit on the job for a good month or two. :D

Hammy
03-28-2011, 11:02 PM
Kevin, do you have a link to that bucket strainer?

Hammy

MarkTarkus
03-29-2011, 12:35 AM
Another good one for lippy employees when it is hot is to park the truck right up next to the door so they can't get out for a few. After about 15 minutes they come out soaking in sweat and generally don't run their mouths any more for at least a day or two

That's why we call it the Tijuana Sauna.

When I'm working somewhere with a pristine lawn or nowhere good to dump waste water I cap the bucket and bring it home and dump it on my lawn. I've been doing it for years in the same spot and it looks just like the rest of the lawn. I'm hoping that eventually I will have a thick enough crust to consider it a new driveway or that maybe a thinset tree will one day sprout up. Now that would be fruits of labor.:yeah:

silvercitytile
03-29-2011, 12:59 AM
if i do bring it back home
i put it in my neihgbors lawn :D

which brings up my next job Marge has for me this summer or early winter:devil:

vrusso123
03-29-2011, 02:15 PM
:gerg:where the downspout (from the gutters) goes into the drain tile outside a building is backfilled around the pipe with stone. if poured slowly this loose dirt/aggregate will absorb all of the water leaving a very small pile of debris. do not pour crap in drain, along outside of pipe it will dissappear.