going rate for installing travertine??? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : going rate for installing travertine???

Stanley
12-21-2003, 08:05 AM
Could someone please tell me if there should be any difference in labor cost for installing travertine verses regular ceramic tile. I the customer will supply the travertine. The tile setter will supply the thinset and labor involved. And also what is the going rate for this in the Dallas area. One more question if you don't mind, what is the going rate for putting down Hardibacker board on a floor that is not a slab if the customer supplies all the materials. Thank you in advance for any helpfull input that can help me with this problem, I really don't want to be overcharged on this project:bang: :bow:

Sponsored Links

Davy
12-21-2003, 10:22 AM
Hi Stanley and welcome. Prices will vary from about 4 dollars per ft to 10 dollars. The travertine will be at least a dollar or two more. There is no set price, you get what you pay for. Be careful.
How many sq ft do you have to install? This will affect the price too.
You need to check your sub-floor with the deflecto up in the top right of this page, it needs to be strong for travertine.;)

John Bridge
12-21-2003, 03:52 PM
Hi Stan, :)

I would say about six bucks a foot as opposed to four or less for ceramic tiles.

Hire Davy to do it. He's up the road from you. ;)

John K
12-21-2003, 06:17 PM
John,

Is that what you charge including the mud, lath etc?:eek:

John K

Stanley
12-22-2003, 04:56 PM
I have app. 400 sq. ft. including a bath. As for as the thickness goes I'm sure I'll be ok with the backerboard. John does that 6 bucks a foot include the backerboard? If not how much for that with me supplying all materials( backerboard and thinset)

John Bridge
12-22-2003, 07:24 PM
Don't know. Let's get one of the backer board gurus to answer that. I do mud and concrete slabs I charge about five for stone over a slab and six to seven with a mud bed. I've been told that in NY and other areas they get twice that much. ;)

Jason_Butler
12-22-2003, 07:29 PM
'Bout a buck or a buck and a quarter per sq ft for CBU install. That's labor only.

Then there's the thinset, nails, tape, etc.

I'll even let the homeowner carry the CBU upstairs if they want :D

Jason

Stanley
12-22-2003, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the input guys, The tile guy I'm dealing with is going to charge me a buck twenty five for putting the backer down and $3.50 a foot for the tile but I don't think he knows it's trvertine yet. so things could change. I have seen some of this guys work and must say he does a mighty fine job. So maybe I'm getting a hell of a deal.

John Bridge
12-22-2003, 07:52 PM
Since he apparently knows his stuff, I think he'll charge a bit more to install the stone. :)

Stanley
12-22-2003, 07:55 PM
Yes I'm sure you are right, but I have the feeling it will be worth it. I just wanted to check with you guys to make sure his numbers were in the ballpark of where they should be, Thanks again for all the advice and hope all of you have a very Merry Christmas and the very best of New Years