trench drain [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : trench drain

Katwyk tile
01-30-2011, 11:08 AM
Does anyone have a trench drain that drains out the side of the internal trough and can be plumbed into a standard 3 piece drain most commonly found in the center of showers? I want to put the drain against the wall and use one solid slab on the shower floor. I also don't want to have to move my plumbing.

Sponsored Links

Shaughnn
01-30-2011, 11:26 AM
Hi Rod,
It's good to see you here and I hope you'll take a moment to write up a short introduction and to share some of your stunning work. I can't think of a side-plumbed trench but one of our other friends might be able to point you in the right direction?
Shaughnn

silvercitytile
01-30-2011, 11:42 AM
welcome Rod. how did u know his name is Rod Shaughn?

and if u do a search here on the forum, there is lots of topics on that subject Rod:)

Dave Taylor
01-30-2011, 11:56 AM
how did u know his name is Rod

"Katwyk tile" has a web presence, Jeff.... and the owner, Rod, is part of "Linkedin", "facebook", "Hotfrog" and mebee other web site areas..... proly' places where Pirate also visits.

Just my guess.

Shaughnn
01-30-2011, 12:01 PM
I first encountered Rod Katwyk through a tile group on Facebook and i've been appreciating his work for a couple of years now (I think it's been a couple of years at least?) An expert blend of enthusiasm, innovation, inspiration and a clientele to permit him to reach some pretty awesome heights.
I'm glad he's stopped by with a question.
Shaughnn

geetpicker
01-30-2011, 12:09 PM
not sure 'bout the drain, but what is this facebook tile group all about? How do I get there? Google wasn't helpin' me none...

Cain
01-30-2011, 12:15 PM
http://www.quickdrainusa.com/custom-shower-drains.php
about half way down the page. is this what your looking for?

and welcome aboard.

Shaughnn
01-30-2011, 12:31 PM
Here you go, Brian.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=62557653224

Rod just added me as an administrator this morning, about the same time you posted here, so I guess I'm on his team now? :)

Shaughnn

eurob
01-30-2011, 01:03 PM
Hello Katwyk,

Here is a link from a local company which specializes in custom building them per clients request . Hope this can help for future projects or ideas.

http://www.decodrain.com/index_eng.php

Check their basin models section and see if they have what you need .:)

geetpicker
01-30-2011, 01:10 PM
thanks Shaughnn! Hope all is well.:wave:

Katwyk tile
01-30-2011, 01:58 PM
thanks everyone! the last post and site showed the drain on the side of the trough like I was asking about. I now need to find the connection that can be bolted onto the 3 piece drain above the pan liner with an elbow going towards the outlet of the trough drain. Next is what kind of pipe can I cut and glue onsite to make that connection? Do you think there is an adapter that you could use say a 1"x3" rectangle tube for this connection, so the mud bed on the shower floor would not have to be so deep? My theory is that the shower pan and weep holes work the same as standard shower pans do, sloping and draining in the middle of the floor under the mud bed. Would it be ok to waterproof the top of the mudbed on the shower floor sloping back to the wall with the trench drain? Is it bad to waterproof the top and bottom of the shower floor? I call this "The spermicide on the condom"... Thanks for your help Rod Katwyk Tile with a smile .com

eurob
01-30-2011, 03:23 PM
Rod , talk to a local plumbing supplier or a plumber for best way of connecting the trench. It is not so complicated. I would not try to connect the trench to the old 3 part system . Cut the pipe and connect with the new system.
For the height -- Yeah it needs pretty much -- that's the only inconvenience with those type of drains , but you can get in touch with them . I believe they make thinner trenches also.
And for the waterproofing , they work great with waterproofing products -- Kerdi , Hydroban , etc -- on top of the mud bed and you don't need any weep holes system . If you look at the diagram , the fabric overlaps the edges , so basically you are covered for any issues.