Correct Way to Fix a Hairline Crack in Grout [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Correct Way to Fix a Hairline Crack in Grout

rflip66
01-25-2011, 07:01 PM
Hi,

I'm new here and hoping someone will be willing to help me. We have a brand new shower, (not even used yet) and in an effort to remove the drain cover while we were sealing the grout, caused a minor hairline crack inthe grout.

What is the correct way to repair that hairline fracture? Does some of the existing grout need to be removed, and then new grout put in? Is it acceptable to grout over the crack?

I want to make sure it's done correctly because that's a spot that over time could leak, and cause other problems.

Thanks so much for reading my post!

Rick

Sponsored Links

tilerite
01-25-2011, 07:15 PM
Hi Rick. Call me Rick.:) Just scrape down the grout a bit (with a flat head screwdriver or grout saw) and then mix a small amount of fresh grout and apply it. Make sure you have enough of a gap in your joint so that the new grout will stay in place. Five minute job, Rick.

Lazarus
01-25-2011, 07:16 PM
Rick~

I would take a utility knife and cut/score away as much of the grout as is feasible. Think of it like filling a tooth cavity. Undercut as well as you can. Slightly dampen the area and then mix up a bit of the grout and fill the area. Clean with a slightly damp sponge.

Go have a beer!

tileman2000
01-25-2011, 07:19 PM
Hi Rick,

Removing a drain cover shouldn't cause any cracking in the grout in a properly built shower pan.Do you know how the shower pan was built?

ceramictec
01-25-2011, 07:22 PM
something is moving and that fix might only last a short time.

rflip66
01-25-2011, 07:24 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the timely responses:). I think the shower pan was built right but the drain is square (and fancy, girlfriend had to have it)
and it was so darn tight. It came with this key that fits in the center hole and you are supposed to be able to just pull it out.....well I had to really pull and it caused the hairline crack.

tilelayer
01-25-2011, 07:29 PM
Ahh! Its an ebbe drain. Yeah I could see that happening. The installer probably put the cover on then grouted the shower. You supposed to leave the cap on then after the grout is dried come back the next day and install the cover. He probably didn't want to do that so he put the cover on and grouted.