Mosaic tile backing gets loose when wet [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Mosaic tile backing gets loose when wet

azsun1411
01-18-2011, 08:43 AM
I am ready to start a shower redo. Finished a hall bath a couple (+) years ago. Had some issues cutting mosaic floor tile sheets when backing
became wet. I remember seeing, on one of the cable DIY programs (or HGTV), a technique to keep the mesh or paper backing in place when cutting on a wet saw. Can't remember, to save my life, but I think they either sprayed something on the back or wiped/brushed something on. Is anyone out there aware of such a proceedure/technique?

Sponsored Links

bbcamp
01-18-2011, 08:49 AM
I've heard nothing like that, but you can tape the front face of the sheets with painter's tape. You can also cut the sheets apart, then cut and set individual tiles.

jadziedzic
01-18-2011, 10:17 AM
+1 on what Bob said - run the painter's tape entirely around the tile so it covers the back side where the cut occurs, and immediately after cutting the mosaic set it onto a dry towel to absorb any water remaining on the mesh. That worked a charm for the forty or so pieces I had to trim.

And for what it's worth, a saw with a sliding table is much easier to use when cutting mosaics than one where you slide the tile along the top of a fixed table.