Better Than He Deserves [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Better Than He Deserves

John K
11-30-2010, 08:08 PM
Dave Ramsey's new house..

http://www.fivecentnickel.com/2010/10/15/dave-ramseys-house-living-like-no-one-else/

Sponsored Links

MudMaker
11-30-2010, 08:27 PM
Good for him..... :tup2:

cx
11-30-2010, 08:39 PM
Better Than He DeservesJust how does one determine that, John? :scratch:

sandbagger
11-30-2010, 09:17 PM
yes, John, please enlighten us.

ob1kanobee
11-30-2010, 09:18 PM
It's a big house for a financial 'pimp'. If we all lived like Dave told us to we would all be eating Ramen Noodles.

Here's my thoughts:
Dave is in it to make money for Dave.

When they start mixing religion with money, it's time to hold on to your wallet. Tightly.

He advises with a broad paint brush. He pimps certain companies. He has been sued so many times that if he was a registered advisor (which he is not) nor does he even hold an insurance license no E&O company would touch him. He does does not give financial advice only his opinion.

Levi the Tile Guy
11-30-2010, 09:20 PM
I wouldn't complain if that was mi casa.

sandbagger
11-30-2010, 09:25 PM
If we all lived like Dave told us to we would all be eating Ramen Noodles. If we all lived like Dave suggested the Federal government would be about half its current size and the financial "crises" we're still dealing with would never have happened.

ob1kanobee
11-30-2010, 09:28 PM
Art
as long as Dave would get rich from it I don't think he would have a problem with that. It's all about Dave. :bonk:

sandbagger
11-30-2010, 09:32 PM
you didn't answer the point I made, Ben - just more class envy stuff.

gueuzeman
11-30-2010, 09:33 PM
So what exactly is a debt-reduction guru? does he run late night infomercials and then charge hundreds of dollars to attend a seminar at a local hotel's conference center?

Is he married to Susy Orman?

13,000 sq. ft. house? I bet he filed a grievance on his property taxes. and has no preslope on his shower floors, lol.

gueuzeman
11-30-2010, 09:35 PM
Also, when I saw the thread title all I could think was "Dick Cheney is Dead?"

sandbagger
11-30-2010, 09:36 PM
c'mon, gueuze, surely you can do better. :stick:

John K
11-30-2010, 09:38 PM
yes, John, please enlighten us.

When someone asks Dave how he is doing. He responds with " Better than I deserve"

ob1kanobee
11-30-2010, 09:40 PM
You are suggesting an absolute.

If we all lived like Dave suggested the Federal government 'should' 'could' 'might' (not would) be about half its current size and the financial "crises" we're still dealing with would never have happened.

Things don't always go according to plan even when it's Dave's plan. Dave has great financial advice (I mean opinion) when it comes to getting out of debt. However he paints with a broad brush when it comes to insurance and investments.

gueuzeman
11-30-2010, 09:49 PM
c'mon, gueuze, surely you can do better.

Don't call me Shirley!

sandbagger
12-01-2010, 06:46 AM
When someone asks Dave how he is doing. He responds with " Better than I deserve" touche', John! I had forgotten the obvious about Dave's tag line. That said, I can't help but be amused by some of the class envy in some of the other posts. :whip:
Dave has great financial advice (I mean opinion) when it comes to getting out of debt. His advice (opinion) works. And let's face it, opinion is all you're getting from any "advisor." But if that's all you get from Dave then you are missing the real point - staying out of debt. However he paints with a broad brush when it comes to insurance and investments. very true, and for most people it's not enough. However, if most people just followed some of the basic tenets he lays out they would be a lot better off.

btw - don't confuse me with a shill for Ramsey. Today I do things he would not advise. I also know that if I had followed Dave's approach when I was young and stupid about money I'd be even better off today and would not have had to endure certain "lessons" in money management. :bang:

ob1kanobee
12-01-2010, 12:44 PM
Here is some interesting news:

"Dave Ramsey’s prime time show on Fox Business News is being canceled.
Almost everyone knows Dave Ramsey and his Financial Peace University, headquartered on Mallory Lane in Cool Springs. If you’ve been living on Mars, Dave Ramsey is known for preaching that people pay cash for everything and don’t use credit cards.
A source from Wall St. Cheat Sheet reports:

“He possessed the lethal combination of lacking the charisma and warmth to carry his own television show combined with the delusional arrogance to think he was the next Dr. Phil.”
Yikes! Not exactly friendly parting words.

http://www.coolsprings.com/news/fox-news-axes-dave-ramsey/

jgleason
12-01-2010, 12:52 PM
I guess I've been living on Mars :shrug: cause I never heard of the guy before this thread.

Good advice not to use credit cards though. I use mine but only for the convenience and float. That and the rewards. Of course, if you maintain a balance, that is when you get into trouble.

ob1kanobee
12-01-2010, 12:54 PM
Jason
Also if you have a dispute about an item you purchased, you have a better chance of getting it resolved if you used you credit card VS. paying cash or check.

John K
12-01-2010, 07:01 PM
Everything Art said.....:wave:

gueuzeman
12-01-2010, 07:12 PM
I'd rather pay cash and save the local merchant the processing fee. That is a way to invest in your community.

I do use cards for work.

MudMaker
12-01-2010, 07:28 PM
and Clark Howard is not doin badly either.. Here is his Vacation Home... (http://projects.ajchomefinder.com/gallery/view/homes/private-quarters/celebrity-splurge/clark-howard-home/) :)

sandbagger
12-01-2010, 08:46 PM
Ramsey's anti-credit card thing plays to the simple fact that the vast majority of people don't have a clue about the basics of credit card usage. Look at someone with a debt problem and you'll find a stack of maxed-out credit cards in the mix.

Heck, most don't understand the basics of credit - period. That was a major factor in the mortgage problem with too many people taking on loans they just didn't understand.

coolsprings
12-02-2010, 07:27 AM
You all may be interested in checking out a profile we did recently on Dave Ramsey's new house. His average monthly electric bill is $1,285. :eek:

coolsprings.com/news/dave-ramseys-house/

coolsprings
12-02-2010, 08:29 AM
I should have mentioned before, we are the original source for all information on Dave Ramsey's house. The fivecentnickel website picked it up from us.

Editor
CoolSprings.com

MudMaker
12-02-2010, 08:32 AM
Editor.. tell Dave we are all happy for him.. :clap2: Well... at least most of us are.. :D

cx
12-02-2010, 08:37 AM
Welcome, Coolsprings. Please put a first name in your permanent signature line for our folks to use. :)

Honeydo
12-02-2010, 08:59 AM
Ramsey's anti-credit card thing plays to the simple fact that the vast majority of people don't have a clue

Sounds about right. Sounds like a lot of rules for undisciplined people. Credit cards offer a ton of consumer protection, not to mention convenience, and as someone else mentioned, I've been protected in a number of disputes because of them

I don't know much about him, never paid him any attention, but it seems like some of his concepts are just based in good old fashioned sound fiscal management, but they fail to take in anything but the simplest fiscal management.
Debt used properly, with a sound balance sheet and proper ratios has always been a key to business expansion. Great to say put off buying a car until you can pay cash, if you have a suitable car today. It hardly is an accurate analysis of the real costs of ownership. If one of my older trucks break down, there are very real costs in time, lost business etc to calculate.

Sure, in personal life putting off saves money, but you don't have. All decisions have a "cost" Not having has a cost, paying cash has a cost and is really no different than a loan or a lease, it is just self financing and you give up the opportunity to use that cash somewhere else. If using it for that is the most efficient, than that is a wise decision.

I for one think with money rates so low, many opportunities start to look appealing that made no financial sense several years ago. Go back to the early eighties in Colorado and Scottsdale and look at how the market for investment condos acted in the s&L crisis. Check again 20 years later. There are opportunities for long term investors. who don’t overextend themselves.

John K
12-02-2010, 08:12 PM
Coolsprings,

Welcome. My wife and I love Franklin! Got any inside shots of Dave's house?

Houston Remodeler
12-02-2010, 08:29 PM
I put everything possible on my amex. I don't have a debit card as they don't have the federal protections of credit cards. Rarely carry cash these days. After using skymiles to pay for the 5 day trip to Puerto Rico, I still have 350,000 miles which never expire.

Both Dave and Clark have good basic banking ideas which they can re-sell for eternity. Personally I am glad they exist, so those of us who actually are financially stable don't have to pick up the slack for those who have no clue how to balance a check book, understand how credit cards really work, or can't manage to live within their means.

Where else would people go for this information?