Paper or Plastic? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Paper or Plastic?

Toddman
11-21-2010, 04:40 PM
When I go to Target to get groceries and other things, sometimes I ask for paper, and sometimes I ask for plastic. Sometimes I need more paper bags for the recycling bin or just to a few in the closet. Sometimes I need more plastic bags to pick up the dog doo in the backyard, or have some in my trailer for garbage or something to scrape the old wax ring into. When I ask for plastic, they give me about 15 bags. When I ask for paper for the same amount of stuff, the cram everything in about three bags!!! WTF?

Sponsored Links

silvercitytile
11-21-2010, 04:50 PM
thats funny Todd.:shrug:

Tool Guy - Kg
11-21-2010, 04:52 PM
Next time ask for plastic and tell 'em you want everything double bagged. :yo:

Toddman
11-21-2010, 05:10 PM
Sometimes I think they're just trying to get rid of the plastic bags. They're pretty strong, they could definitely load them up a bit more. I think they're worried about the trees.

Toddman
11-21-2010, 05:11 PM
Great idea Bubba!! LOL

Houston Remodeler
11-21-2010, 05:20 PM
the problem is the plastic bags have a lower carbon footprint than the paper ones. The paper can be recycled much easier. Its a real tree huggers dilemma. :eek:

I use those re-usable green colored tote bags when I remember to fetch them from the trunk.

Davestone
11-21-2010, 06:01 PM
Not to derail,but on the same topic.Why do the homeless guys have 3 million bags tied to their bikes goin down the road? What do they use them for? Everything?:think:

Speedball
11-21-2010, 06:23 PM
Paper around here is not an available option. What's this I hear about a replacement for plastic?

Talking to my linen supply guy he says some people dump a whole 40# bag of towels on the floor just to steal the somewhat nice cloth bag with tie string?

kate42
11-21-2010, 06:44 PM
I use those re-usable green colored tote bags when I remember to fetch them from the trunk. __________________

Just read this today.

So you care about the environment, and you take a reusable shopping bag with you to the grocery store to avoid polluting the planet with countless plastic sacks. Now you find out your bag is made with potentially harmful lead. What's an environmentalist to do?
The latest in a long line of ominous warnings about potentially dangerous products concerns synthetic but reusable bags that may contain traces of lead. Reusable bags, mostly made in China, account for about 10 to 15 percent of the U.S. market of grocery bags.
The stir in supermarkets and Congress is less about whether the toxin might rub off on food and more about whether they could accumulate in landfills and create an environmental hazard.
But over time in a landfill, laboratory experts told the newspaper, the bags break down and paint can flake off. Lead was used in the paint to add color, opaqueness and durability; it has been banned in wall paint in the United States since the late 1970s.

One just can't win.

lasvegaslenny
11-21-2010, 08:03 PM
Just like the compact florescents that will save the planet, except for the mercury in the bulb. If I break one of the CFL's in my kitchen can I apply to the Government for a Superfund Grant?

Tiletim
11-21-2010, 08:51 PM
Why do the homeless guys have 3 million bags tied to their bikes goin down the road? What do they use them for?

portable toilet :shrug:

I get the paper ones - nope not a tree hugger

Toddman
11-21-2010, 09:55 PM
Pat, did the ban paper in your community or what? A grocery store without paper bags??? Help!

Speedball
11-22-2010, 04:22 AM
Now that I think about it, maybe it's just the grocery store I go to.

tilerite
11-22-2010, 10:27 AM
I try to bring my bags (mostly double paper) back to the store with me to re-use and I ALWAYS bag my own. Been doing it that way for many years.

Dave Taylor
11-22-2010, 10:50 AM
I don't need no stinkin' bags (paper, plastic or udderwise') when I goes' grocery shoppin'.

My retardment' check where I gits' to shop don't buy me nuttin' but about one armfull of groceries no more.

Levi the Tile Guy
11-22-2010, 02:06 PM
I didn't know paper was an option anymore. I remember when they used to ask, but I didn't think they would use paper anymore cause of cost to the store.

az_rancher
11-22-2010, 02:58 PM
I went to a seminar a couple of years back where a US Forest Service guy told me that Paper was again cheaper than plastic, I think Gas was around $3.00 / gallon at the time. So it's probably not a real money saver for the stores to use plastic, but to carry both is a hassel.

Rancher

Toddman
11-22-2010, 05:40 PM
Levi, they don't ask anymore. I just know they have them and they're pretty skimpy on them. Maybe I should stock up, the paper days might be coming to an end. :shake:

bulldog tile
11-22-2010, 05:58 PM
Since turning my boyhood row crop farm into a tree farm - my family and I say use all the paper and wood products you can buy and we thank you! :tup2:

advertguy2
11-23-2010, 07:52 AM
Up here in Ontario, stores charge 5 cents for a plastic bag now. Paper isn't an option. Bring your own re-useable bags or pay for plastic. Been like that for at least a year now. :sheep:

e3
11-23-2010, 09:03 AM
give me paper bags they"ll stand up ,,them plastic ones roll all over the back of the truck and I end up having to "re-bag" everything when I get home..

John Bridge
11-23-2010, 04:29 PM
With all the plastic out there you'd think it was the problem, but I learned years ago that paper and paper products is what still clogs our land fills. I'm an RVer, and RVers use the plastic bags for just about everything. I have three small waste cans in my fifth wheel that will accommodate the plastic bags. Really have no use for paper bags anymore. :)

And we do have better uses for our skinny trees. :)

Speedball
11-23-2010, 05:25 PM
Many, many, many moons ago I remember my Mom could completely fill a grocery cart for just slightly over $20.00:wtf:

Houston Remodeler
11-23-2010, 06:39 PM
When I go grocery shopping I take an old laundry basket with me. That stops the groceries from rolling all over the bed of the truck / back of the jeep

bulldog tile
11-23-2010, 06:51 PM
And we do have better uses for our skinny trees.

You're right John; 2x4's, 6's, and 8's and lots of cardboard.;)

kate42
11-23-2010, 08:32 PM
At the Publix Supermaket I shop at, I'm asked if plastic is OK. I accept plastic as it is what I use to pick up doggy poop.
Only problem that can happen with the plastic bag is if it has a hole in it. Makes picking up that poop most difficult. :complain:

lasvegaslenny
11-23-2010, 08:33 PM
And messy eh Kate?

them plastic ones roll all over the back of the truck and I end up having to "re-bag" everything when I get home..

God that drives me nuts!

kate42
11-23-2010, 08:42 PM
And messy eh Kate?
Yes, very messy.