Pocket doors anyone? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Pocket doors anyone?

al_s14
10-21-2010, 04:30 PM
I'm considering doing a pocket door for the bathroom, but cant figure out if any door can be converted to a pocket door or it must be that thin type.

Does the rail used determine what thickness door i can use?

It seems every one is selling hinges, not so much the actual doors...
Thanks

Sponsored Links

Honeydo
10-21-2010, 04:39 PM
Al, They could have ones sized in stock, but not a big box store. If you use a framing kit they can either order them for thicker 1 3/4 doors or they sell special adaptors to spread the framing on the stock units they carry. couple of bucks extra.

The special order route if you have a lumber yard/ millwork is the best if the doors are heavier. They make kits that not only accomodate the width but are built to handle heavier doors too.

Check out Johnson Hardware online. (best to usually buy locally as the shipping is usually significantly more that your local supplier will charge you._

Get the ones with metal encased studs, not the cheapest all pine version.

You can also order just the tracks and hardware and frame your own walls to any width if you have unusual circumstances

Tool Guy - Kg
10-21-2010, 04:48 PM
Hi Al,

Yes, you can use most any door if you frame it correctly. But rather than monk around framing and purchasing all the needed piece of hardware, I'd suggest purchasing a pocket door frame kit like this one (http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=100658025&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=100658025&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googlebase-_-D30X-_-100658025&locStoreNum=4941&marketID=164). It includes pretty much everything but the door.

If you buy it from someplace like Orange Burrito, know what you want before you go because good help is scarce. I'd much rather go to a real lumberyard to pick it out because they typically can help you out and help you select a good quality unit. The cheap units don't slide anywhere near as nice as the good units do.

:)

Houston Remodeler
10-21-2010, 04:58 PM
Buy the kit from home burrito or Slowes, but make 100% sure it has all its parts. If the box looks like its been opened and re-sealed, put it back. If you are missing a part you will not know until its too late.

lasvegaslenny
10-21-2010, 05:04 PM
Pocket door are tons of fun!!!

Houston Remodeler
10-21-2010, 05:16 PM
I also suggest you completely install the pocket door before hanging any drywall. Be sure the door side jamb and the far side jamb are 100% plumb with each other. If you wait until the drywall is up to prepare for the door trim and casing, you'll have problems.

Steve C
10-21-2010, 06:11 PM
Check out Johnson Hardware online.

Johnson makes excellent quality hardware.

I also suggest you completely install the pocket door before hanging any drywall.

Absolutely.

cx
10-21-2010, 06:16 PM
I'm personally opposed to pocket doors in any active opening. They're OK for closets or maybe water closets, or to close off a little-used room such as a formal dining area, but not anywhere folks must walk through on a daily basis.

And I wouldn't consider one where there is to be tile on one side or the other unless you have the option of substantial framing changes in that wall.

That said, I've hung all manner of "special" doors as pocket units over the years. It's kinda fun. Sorta. Sometimes. Turning "antique" doors into pocket pairs can make a fun week. :D

SteveVB
10-21-2010, 07:45 PM
Pocket door are tons of fun!!!

Ohh Yea.. fun, fun, fun, fun.

I've installed my share, and I would agree with everything thats been said- be patient with the install, buy the best hardware kit you can find- Johnson is good, and complete. No tile on the wall is great advice.

Oh and when the cable guy comes to run his lines make sure the doors are open.... let everyone who works on the house know there are doors in the walls save some headache(s) later.

lasvegaslenny
10-21-2010, 10:32 PM
Anyone else ever wonder why pocket door latch hardware seems to be designed for people with teeny tiny little fingers? Anyone else ever lock themselves in a bathroom and not be able to unlock the door again, or is it just me?

Tool Guy - Kg
10-21-2010, 11:15 PM
It's just you, Lenny.

:D

Honeydo
10-21-2010, 11:38 PM
Lenny, They have some pretty sweet (and expensive) quality o pocket door pulls, latches and locks. It can be spendy but some sre very nice and function well.
If your other door hardware is $50 bucks or more, the off the shelf stuff from Homer just won't ever match the quality.
That stuff is equivalent to a regukar $7 contractors passage handle set.

http://www.thehardwarehut.com/door_pocket.php?start_no=1

check out some of the higher pages.

Topspin
10-22-2010, 12:38 AM
Pocket door walls - great for mounting towel racks . . . Not.

Also remember to mount Sheetrock with 1" screws.

Houston Remodeler
10-22-2010, 07:23 AM
The only decent pocket door hardware we use starts at $200 a door

lasvegaslenny
10-22-2010, 08:22 AM
Ed, never had the pleasure of seeing a "quality" set of hardware for a pocket door, you have to remember I live in the tract home capitol of the world and "builders hollow-core" is all there is out here.

muskymike
10-22-2010, 08:30 AM
Hi Al, I have two pocket doors in my house. They are very easy to install. I bought slab doors for them and cut the lock part into the door because the cats kept opening them. :complain:

Houston Remodeler
10-22-2010, 08:50 AM
these pocket door pulls (http://houseofantiquehardware.com/Privacy-Pocket-Door-Set-With-Rectangular-Pulls;jsessionid=1NxXMBVfFxFZ3nn3TGqPdcTCSNgm3KgnWHsl2KQ9KG2VXDXvfKtYryKdbpMl2kptrkGvqvTdpTZqzM01ghw Tpy5JC4PhnNJWw5pG0yS2nRZQBjpHJ3hvBJSrrdWrnnxf!85312849) work beautifully, are made like swiss watches and you don't need stubby fingers to use

Of course they are $180 a door......

I have 2 pocket doors in my house for each side of the shared bath. Its the main bath in this 1927 bungalow. They are great space savers and never had a problem.

zeaflal
10-22-2010, 11:51 AM
Paul: $200 is more than the standard Johnson hardware costs. Do you have a preferred brand/model?

Also, is there a problem using standard hollow core doors? They might be cheap, but at least they match the rest of the doors in the house. Or does the door really need more weight to operate properly?

Houston Remodeler
10-22-2010, 11:53 AM
Larry,

I was referring to the door pulls alone (the part you grab to open the door) not the track and rolling hardware that Johnson sells.

Always go for the lighter door as they are MUCH easier to operate. My 2 doors are hollow core and have been working faithfully for 7 years now.

Honeydo
10-22-2010, 12:10 PM
Paul, I have to laugh, I always do the exact opposite.....oh well.

I like the heavy doors becaus they will never cock, no matter where someone pushes them open from. To me the lighter ones can cock/lift relative to the track a bit and bind up the cars.

I also like the heavy duty cars that have 4 wheels as opposed to the standard 3 (Johnsons line offers both) for the same reason and the HD ball bearing just seems to handle the heavy door "gracefully"

But it does add to costs, probably at least twice as much for the kit alone.

So I'm just laughing because to each his own........

solid cores can usually be ordered with the exact same profile as the holow with just a core added, and they have some nice sound absorbing cores that I'd recomend if you are ever doing a laundry room or something where noise transmission is a concern.

Houston Remodeler
10-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Ed,

Yeah it is funny. We just finished a house with huge heavy pocket doors. While the heavy duty hardware glides nicely, the doors are sooooo heavy the HO has trouble getting all that mass moving, then comes the issue of stopping it. The tracks with the slow close / open are real nice for that.

We did a solid bamboo door once. It has to weigh 150 pounds. Far too heavy for guests to use, elderly people, small children, people with hand issues.

A moderate weighted door then...

Honeydo
10-22-2010, 12:49 PM
The tracks with the slow close / open are real nice for that.

Nice to get the jobs that can afford those!!!!!