Greenboard vs. Kerdi [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Greenboard vs. Kerdi

jproney
09-10-2010, 02:08 PM
Have any of you used both Kerdi and greenboard in different shower installs? If so could you shed some light on the difference for me? Is it worth the extra money to spring for Kerdi? Is greenboard really a nightmare?

Sponsored Links

Brian in San Diego
09-10-2010, 02:14 PM
John Paul,

Greenboard is no longer approved for use in wet locations. If one were to put it in a shower it would have to be covered with kerdi. But using greenboard is an added expense when kerdi can be applied over regular drywall.

There are other ways to waterproof showers but I believe applying a membrane to the surface and not allowing the water to penetrate any further is the way to go.

Brian

JeffFromNJ
09-10-2010, 02:17 PM
no greenboard in your shower! stay away!

like brian said a lot here will prefer kerdi over regular drywall or CBU with redgard is a good way to go.

Jaz
09-10-2010, 02:18 PM
The only time GB in a shower is OK is when it's covered with Kerdi, (or similar product). You should never use GB in wet or damp areas to tile directly too.

I know it was done for many many years by cheap ass builders and tile people, but GB was never intended for wet areas, only rooms that might be damp at times.

Jaz