Install Travertine in Condo Lobby Floor??? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Install Travertine in Condo Lobby Floor???

claycarson
08-04-2010, 08:18 AM
Hey guys and ladies, I want your opinion.

We've got a nice condo association that has an old quarry tile floor in their lobby. Honestly, it's not doing their property value any good, since it's out of character with the refined image they would prefer. (Most of the quarry tile ever installed is in restaurant kitchen floors and slaughterhouses, not exactly the 'cache' they were aiming at...)

One person suggested that in Florida most people would install honed, filled travertine. Of course it does need maintenance, but then so does everything. The maintenance on honed stone is much simpler than on polished - you hone it with either powders or if need be, pads. I should point out that we do that work, so it's hard for me to feel it's very expensive - in fact it's much easier and cheaper than polishing cuz it's fewer steps.

As long as the stone is installed by a real pro, (it will be; we would do the job and we're fanatics about proper support and technique), I can see an improvement in their image and a maintainable floor down the road.

Acid etching is less of a concern for two reasons: 1. It's honed to begin with 2. It's a common area hallway so fewer chances of spilling vinegar or red wine.

I remember a thread a while back and most of the stone guys said it was their favorite stone for practicality and ease of maintenance, but I can't find that thread.

What do y'all think???

Thanks!

Sponsored Links

Jhereg
08-04-2010, 08:27 AM
Just finished installing 250sf in an entry of a condo complex, doing another 225sf in lower entry, elevator, and garbage shoot rooms, then doing 300sf in their 2 laundry rooms.

Personally I love it. Ours was honed but unfilled, and I'm talking with their maintenance guys about how to care for it. I'm thinking we'll be out every 6 months or so to clean/seal, and I don't mind that at all.

ob1kanobee
08-04-2010, 08:29 AM
I think it is hard to beat a nice rectified tile vs. Stone with a tight joint and a grout such as Laticrete Spectralock. You also don't have to worry about height restrictions so much.

I'm also a sucker for these 36" tiles being used these days.

Houston Remodeler
08-04-2010, 04:31 PM
Personally, I like a nice granite tile floor. Will last you a lifetime with less maintenance.

ob1kanobee
08-04-2010, 04:58 PM
Granite! I think granite is some of the ugliest stuff I have ever seen with handful of exceptions. When I sold granite slabs, people used to ask me my opinion and sometimes I just said don't ask me, I think they are all ugly lol.

My manager flipped out on me one day as I didn't know he was standing near me. I later told him I used reverse physcology. I still was the number two salesman for slabs behind our actual slab sales leader out of 6 people. Go figure.

ceramictec
08-04-2010, 07:01 PM
yeah i would rather see travertine or marble down rather then a granite floor.