Woe is me...On the hunt for Ditra at Homely Burrito [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Woe is me...On the hunt for Ditra at Homely Burrito

Granite Rookie
07-08-2010, 05:08 PM
Hello,

I thought you blokes might find this a tad bit funny... I'm just about to start with prepping my concrete floor for laying granite tiles after a complete gutting of the walls down to the bare studs in my powder bath. I went to a local Homely Burrito to see if on the off chance, they had some Ditra, since I had struck out trying to find any online. This stuff is as rare as Unobtainium it seems... Out of eight Internet stores, everyone was "out of stock" or would not sell to Texans... I guess they don't like my Lucchese alligator boots. :cool:

I knew all too well from previous experiences that asking questions about where a product is located in a HB store, or if they even carried it at all, usually resulted in a spike in my blood pressure. Perhaps it's just me, but every time I succumb to the temptation to ask where something is in a HB, I usually regret it. It's like you fall into an abyss and you are powerless to escape the sucking vortex...

This time proved the same... I first asked this rather young bloke in the tile department if he knew where the Schluter Ditra uncoupling membrane for tile was... :shrug: His eyes started to glaze over and he looked like I asked him where the key to Fort Knox was located. Then I remembered Paul (Cabot and Rowe) said to ask for the "orange waffely stuff that goes under tile floors" or words to that effect... So, I gave that a shot... That seemed to send a wee bit of glucose to his brain cells and he said "We don't carry that, besides nobody buys that stuff anyway, most people just lay the tile on the concrete slab..."

Then I told him that HD was the largest retailer of SD in the U.S. and maybe he was confused about what I was asking about and I proceeded to explain in more detail what I was looking for and that I knew that HD carried it in some of their stores. This seemed to work like a virus in a computer to him because everything seemed to slooooow way down as he tried to process the information. He then went blue screen on me and handed me off to a rather attractive young lass (who looked like she was in management) that said "None of the HD stores carry that stuff." :scratch: I reiterated the earlier statement that HD was the largest supplier of Ditra in the U.S. (at least that's what I've heard) and she said "Oh, really, well none of the stores in the North of Houston carry it."

She then took me down the aisle to show me what she said was a better product than Ditra, called Easy Mat. Humm, thanks, but I really want Ditra, can you special order it? Probably, but it might take 6 - 8 weeks... :wtf: I could feel the blood pressure rising... I said thanks, but I really prefer Ditra and sulked away to the parking lot, grumbling to myself that I should have known better than to ask a question in HB. :crap: If I would have had a roll of quarters handy, I would have loaded them into the rear-end kicking machine and let 'er rip...

So, I'm still on the hunt for some of the elusive Ditra... Paul said a couple of stores in Houston carry Ditra in the store, so that's my next option. Unfortunately, you need a lantern and a lunch to get into Houston and back, so I might still try the online route. Do you blokes find it this hard to buy Ditra? Any suggestions for an online store that will sell to Texans? Thanks and all the best to you and yours!

Sponsored Links

JTile
07-08-2010, 05:35 PM
Ebay

I have never purchased Ditra from anyone there so I'm not vouching, but its always on there and the sellers seem to have high feedback ratings. If I absolutely couldn't find any locally, I'd try it.

Houston Remodeler
07-08-2010, 05:42 PM
Steve,

You can do what is called a "store to store transfer" If there is a HD anywhere in the continental USofA, then they can ship it between stores FOR FREE, and usually pretty darn quickly.

I once needed a special sink with a corner garbage disposal. The nearest one was in Flowreedah. They shipped it to my local HD the next day. Same price as if I had bought it there.

mossypath
07-08-2010, 06:03 PM
You might try H.D. web site and see if you can avoid The nit wits you are trying to work with . If that won't work , please call customer service or send a email and let them know your troubles .

I can't even walk in a H.D. any more unless it is something I can just grab and go . :complain:

ajsberger
07-08-2010, 06:11 PM
if you end up following Paul's advice with the store to store transfer, they have a lot of it in the Denver, Colorado area stores. Most of the employees I spoke with had no idea what it was, but they had plenty of the 54 sq. ft. rolls for around $80.

Houston Remodeler
07-08-2010, 06:13 PM
I think the "carpet texas' store at the beltway and 290 carries it.

Lazarus
07-09-2010, 08:52 AM
Seen it at the Beaumont store.....

jgleason
07-09-2010, 09:42 AM
Go to the HD web site and to check for a store that carries Ditra use the store locator. set the HD store to the one you want and then search for "Ditra". If the store carries it it will be listed.

Here are a few that carry Ditra in Houston:

1 - Brinkman #577 999 North Loop West
Houston, TX 77008
(713)802-9725

2 - Spring Valley #6985 8400 Katy Freeway
Houston, TX 77024
(713)984-2741

3 - Pin Oak #566 5445 West Loop
Houston, TX 77081
(713)662-3950

8 - Lumpkin #571 1100 Lumpkin Rd
Houston, TX 77043
(713)461-9898

Granite Rookie
07-09-2010, 12:45 PM
Hello,

Thanks so much for all the help, I knew you blokes would keep me on the straight and narrow. :wohoo:

Justin: I've never purchased anything off Ebay (I know, I'm probably the only bloke on the planet who hasn't) but I will keep that in mind. I reallly prefer to get it locally if possible, to prevent shipping delays.

Paul: I have never heard of a store to store transfer with Homely Burrito... Thanks for the tip, that will no doubt come in handy in the future. I wonder why the female manager did not offer that? I'm familiar with the Carpet Texas store (IIRC), so that may be a good option!

Lazarus: I would love a day trip to Beaumont, but alas I have miles to go before I can take off and spend an enjoyable day driving. I occasionally buy parts from the Mercedes-Benz dealer in Beaumont, but not so much lately since A-Rod opened his dealership up in the Clear Lake area.

Joe: Thanks so much for the listing! :clap1: I should be jam up and jelly tight for sure. :yeah: One way or the other, I'm gonna get me grubby little paws on a few rolls of the elusive Orange Unobtainium, er, um Ditra.

Now I just need to find some "premium" thinset to use and get another 10" diamond blade for my wet saw. Any suggestions for the best 10" wet diamond blade for use with granite tiles (cost is not an issue, smooth chip free cutting and low noise are preferred)? Do the continuous rim styles offer smother cut edges than segmented rim styles? Thanks in advance!