paper backed tile for shower floor? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : paper backed tile for shower floor?

Grasshopper
05-21-2010, 04:42 PM
My customer bought 2x2's for their shower floor. Half of them were mesh-backed, while the other half of the order was a paper-backed lattice (and definitely not paper-faced). Are these installed with the backing into a wet environment or is one supposed to peel and set each one? Thanks much.

Sponsored Links

Grasshopper
05-21-2010, 05:25 PM
A follow-up question: If they did happen to be installed with the paper mesh lattice backing, and then epoxy-grouted, what's in store down the road? This is going over Kerdi w/ a Shluter shower pan kit. Thanks again.

Houston Remodeler
05-21-2010, 07:23 PM
Grasshopper,

Paper backed tiles can work just fine with a quality install. You really need to focus on getting the non paper areas on the back of each tile so they stick down well. On rare occasion there are some mesh tiles that have so little area for thinset that I refuse to lay them.

Got a pic of the back side of those tiles?

Grasshopper
05-21-2010, 07:55 PM
I don't have a pic - perhaps monday. But if you can imagine paper akin to thickness of contractor paper, with diamond shaped openings in it to reveal the ridges on the back of the tile.

I guess I can confess that I did lay them down...and am regretting the rush. I'm confident they will stay down (kerabond) since it had enough back exposed, but the possibility of a mildew smell developing over time is what's bothering me. I should have paused (again!) but got wrapped up in trying to catch up after several other delays. Ugh.

Geez, I hope you're right, because I have half a mind to buy some more, chip them up and redo on monday since grout hasn't happened yet. (How easily can they be chipped up from Kerdi membrane without yanking the kerdi off the foam pan?)

Thanks for the hopeful response.