Travertine sealing grouting questions [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Travertine sealing grouting questions

jacinta
04-15-2010, 10:22 PM
Need some advice...

I am in the process of installing travertine tile in my master bath. 12x12 and 8x8 honed and filled for the shower walls with some 1x1 tumbled mosaic accents. The shower floor will be 2x2 tumbled mosaic. I will also have a few 2x2 glass tile inserts. The main bathroom floor will have the 12x12 honed and filled tile and I am considering the same 2x2 glass inserts.

I have a few questions (more than a few actually :-)
1. Should I seal the travertine tile before grouting?
2. If so should I use the penetrating sealer or the enhancer (from what I have read this is the stuff that will give it the stone the look it has when I wipe with a wet cloth)? How many coats? From what I've tested with the penetrating sealer I bought, the tile looks the same, in some cases still chalky looking. It comes in a dark green spray bottle with yellow label from Home Depot.
3. How long after sealing should I wait before I grout?
4. How long after grouting should I wait to seal?
4. Will the sealing and grouting affect the glass tile inserts?
5. Is it ok to use glass tile inserts on the floor?

I appreciate all the help because at this point I'm thinking I bit off more than I can chew. Thanks.

Sponsored Links

Houston Remodeler
04-15-2010, 11:51 PM
Jacinta,

Welcome to the forum, to answer some of your questoions...

1- Yes, generally it is a reallllly good idea :clap1:
2A- Your choice, depends on the look you want
2B- Depends on which sealant you buy. 2 coats is best to get even coverabe and no missed spots
2C- Put that stuff back:tongue: and get some Miracle 511.
3- As soon as its dry, What does the sealant manufacturer say?
4A- Some say 4 days, I prefer 7. What type of grout did you use?
4B- No. Well it will if you do a really bad job, but I trust you. :postitbg:
5- You know they will get scratched right? :shades:

jacinta
04-16-2010, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome and quick response.

1. I will go ahead and seal the travertine before grouting. I will return the green stuff and get the Miracle 511. I would prefer to get a little of that "wet" look but not too shiny. Will the Miracle 511 do that?

4A. I haven't grouted yet. I'm planning to use North American Adhesives Unsanded Grout

4B. Any advice on how not to mess up the glass tile inserts when sealing and grouting?

5. The glass tile inserts in the floor, I guess that's not a good idea? Since those aren't in yet, can I replace with say, some darker travertine or maybe slate 2x2?

Thanks.

doitright
04-16-2010, 09:18 AM
Hi Jacinta, Welcome! :)

My opinions are slightly different than Paul's.

1. With honed and filled sealing is not necessary, but could facilitate the process.

2. If you want the slightly enhanced look, I suggest presealing with STT's CE. One coat to start, let dry overnight, and check color in the morning.

3. For any STT product, overnight dry. Otherwise, follow label directions of product you choose.

4a. Most grout manufacturers suggest 72 hours. Read label directions. Some are now suggesting a water mist damp cure (just like the good old days to help strengthen the grout).

4b. No.

5. Since this is you master bath, I see no problem. As Paul suggested they may scratch. It depends on the foot traffic in your bath, and where and how many you have. I have seen recycled glass used in commercial terrazzo applications, and exhibit no problem with scratching. It also depends on the glass manufacturer. If you're the least bit uncomfortable, then yes, swap them out with the material of your choice. Also consider the glass inserts are more than likely thinner than your travertine, so care must be used when installing to get them flush with the existing surface.

jacinta
04-16-2010, 09:31 AM
Thanks John for joining the conversation.

1. So is the enhancer also a sealer? Do I need to buy two different products? If two different products which one do I use before grouting and which one do I use after? Is there an order to this?

2. Regarding the glass tile inserts on the floor, there are only two of us that use the Master Bath. Usually wearing fuzzy slippers or barefoot. I realize that the thickness is different. I was hoping to lay on the glass tile adhesive thicker to match the levels. Is this advisable?

Thanks.

cx
04-16-2010, 09:57 AM
Welcome, Jacinta. :)

1. Most enhancers are also sealers. I don't know John's new line of SST products, so if you use them best to read the directions. Actually, best to do that with all the products, eh? But I'd be surprised if the enhancer didn't also seal.

2. Mortar buildup under the glass tiles isn't the best of ideas, but it's done.

My opinion; worth price charged.

jacinta
04-16-2010, 03:06 PM
So I went to Home Depot looking for the Miracle 511 and STT with my stone samples to test. They had Miracle 511 but not STT. They also had StoneSpecific™ Stone Enhancer + Sealer which the tile guy says is the same as 511, produced by the same company but under a different name.

1. Can anyone verify if 511 and the StoneSpecific™ Stone Enhancer + Sealer are indeed the same product?

2. My test piece has the "wet" finished look I like. For the bathroom and shower floor, will this be slippery when wet?

Thanks.

SP100 beta tester
04-17-2010, 09:32 PM
Aquamix

Miracle

Dupont stone care products (DalTile)

Follow the instructions on the label or call the company and ask before using, yes they actually have tech support.

doitright
04-18-2010, 09:10 AM
Hi Jancita :)

As CX mentioned most enhancers are also sealers. The STT CE doubles as a color enhancer & water repellent, but needs the SB added to provide oil stain protection.

You will not find STT products on the shelves of any big box store. They are becoming more widely available through regional distributors and dealers.

Currently, I am the only retail supplier (we also offer discounts to contractors). I hope to a a website with online shopping cart up within the month.

Here's Product Data Sheets for STT CE & SB.