technical question [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : technical question

lati_cz
03-22-2010, 08:11 PM
I am working for a client, asked me to tile over existing whirlpool enclosure. My plan is install 1/4 or 1/2" wanderboard over enclosure and hydroban it. Any thoughts why I shouldn't do it? thanks.

Sponsored Links

gueuzeman
03-22-2010, 08:13 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_MXtkM0Y1Iv4/SfnDVQIkGkI/AAAAAAAAAMQ/oX1wG6ZBCVM/s400/PuBBLiCiT%C3%A0+1.jpg

Tool Guy - Kg
03-22-2010, 08:15 PM
What's the desire to keep the enclosure? Why not remove? I see the cultured marble for the horizontal cap, but are the walls the same material?

:)

Brad Denny
03-22-2010, 08:19 PM
Hi Michal,
The trouble you'd have to go through to get a the board fastened well is more than tearing out the cultured marble IMO. I don't think the gelcoat would be good to stick to with any type of mortar or adhesive. Removing it would leave a chalky surface. You'd have to use some type of hollow wall anchor to mechanically fasten the board as well.

gueuzeman
03-22-2010, 08:21 PM
How do you attach the cementboard to the fiberglass surround? |Do you know where the studs are to use fasteners? I could see tiling over the seat with epoxy.

Still , how much work to take it out?- 1 day?

MNTileGuy
03-22-2010, 08:21 PM
NO!:deadhorse

Really though, I don't see what you'd be gaining. Plus you'd have to do some type of return on all the edges. Not a real attractive option all around.

tilelayer
03-22-2010, 08:24 PM
I am working for a client, asked me to tile over existing whirlpool enclosure. My plan is install 1/4 or 1/2" wanderboard over enclosure and hydroban it. Any thoughts why I shouldn't do it? thanks.

Whats wanderboard? :scratch:

ob1kanobee
03-22-2010, 08:27 PM
Couldn't you use epoxy?

Brad Denny
03-22-2010, 08:35 PM
Considering that the the coating on cultured marble is thin and actually flakes with a sharp impact, I'd be afraid that the epoxy would bond well to the coating and not the body of the slab. I have no data to back that up, just thought the process through a few times when asked to do the same Michal is faced with. :shrug:

lati_cz
03-22-2010, 08:41 PM
I planned to fasten the CBU trough the panels - they're 1/2" thick, sturdy, no movement there.
I'd fur the wall out above enclosure and go up to the ceiling.
the tiles will be good quality slate (not my choice), I planed to have 1+" return with mitered corner.
it's not cultured marble - more like material shower basins are made from.
why - that's the question :-)..... I am leaning towards removal, I wanted to know what you pros think.
Sorry to answer to all of you inline - I do not how to quote....
wanderboard - wonderboard - CBU - mistake

I saw a new shower few weeks ago, ceramic tiles over mud wall. they dis not use returns or quoter rounds but polished metal trim - looked very good. Has anyone seen anything like that?

dhagin
03-22-2010, 08:55 PM
Well, no industry standard or manufacturer's install instructions show that plastic as proper in a tile system, but...

If the existing surround was 3-wall, waterproof & without the big ledge, maybe going over it with CBU and no HydroBan would work. The 1/2 material could take the place of a moisture barrier. You'd likely have to pre-drill to fasten CBU to studs and still get minimum penetration into them, so maybe 2" or longer nails/screws. Not sayin I'd recommend it, but think it would work fine.

The big ledge is a deal breaker i think, and you can have that plastic ripped out in a few hours.

Brad Denny
03-22-2010, 09:02 PM
Oh, plastic. :dunce:
Well, were you planning on just using the plastic for a vapor barrier/waterproofing then?? Wouldn't want to sandwich the board witha second layer. :shake:
I think you are referring to some of Schluter's (http://www.schluter.com/139.aspx) trim.

lati_cz
03-22-2010, 09:15 PM
Brad - no, I was not. HO asked me, I did not know the answer. I did not see a reason why not - but I wanted to know.
http://www.schluter.com/2_8_rondec_step.aspx - it looks like trim I saw, looked really good. Anyone used it for shower walls?

java
03-22-2010, 09:22 PM
Acid wash down and waterproof protecto-wrap?