Tavy Thin Skin, I hate to tell you guys but it works! [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Tavy Thin Skin, I hate to tell you guys but it works!

carpenterdrew
03-10-2010, 08:44 PM
Well, I must say I am shocked to tell you all this but Tavy Thin Skin not only works but it works quite well. Just ripped out an old whirpool tub deck where they had covered the old very glossy textured tile with Thin Skin and then tiled over and it was almost impossible to get apart. I ended up bashing tile off places to where I could saw apart. I was a skeptic but Im pretty convinced it is a good product that can be used in certain applications. Just my 2 cents!:stirpot:

Sponsored Links

gueuzeman
03-10-2010, 09:38 PM
From what I've seen and heard of it, it's kind of similar to the Pro-spec speed-flex I use on a somewhat regular basis. And I love my speed-flex.

Topspin
03-10-2010, 10:39 PM
I used Tavy Thinskin on a kitchen full of multiangled counters and huge multilevel center island. Waaaay too complicated to have taken apart and re-skin with new ply. I used Tavy and it worked well, but the goop is messy and sticky and just more effort than I expected.

So the last time I did a counter cover up (substrate was 3/4"ply covered in formica) I gave Mr. Custom B. Products easy mat a try. I got the thinner stuff and it was slick to install. vertical edge of the counter went in a snap too. Some memory problems with its tendency to roll back up, but not as bad as the thicker stuff sold at Homer's. Tried to get it off and not a chance.

So for my $ & time, if I skin over a good laminate I think I'll do the Easy Mat. That is until I go to Laticrete PTK coming up in a couple months. Then they'll no doubt put me in the Laticrete trance

and I'll add another of their products to my arsenal.

Houston Remodeler
03-11-2010, 04:59 PM
I used it once and found the glue was more problems than I ever wanted. The floor is still in great shape today though.

ceramictec
03-11-2010, 05:44 PM
Just ripped out an old whirpool tub deck where they had covered the old very glossy textured tile with Thin Skin and then tiled over and it was almost impossible to get apart. I ended up bashing tile off places to where I could saw apart.well then it contradicts what he says about being easy to remove on one of his "Tavy Tips"
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLu7p6-Ptqc)

Bill Vincent
03-11-2010, 06:23 PM
I talked to Armen when he first came out with this stuff. In fact, one of his guys sent me about 100 feet of it. His big thing was going over vinyl and plywood with it so you could tile. I refuse to tile over existing vinyl, and I don't need no stinking Thin Skin to go over plywood!! It DOES make a great waterproof template material, though!! :D

carpenterdrew
03-11-2010, 07:38 PM
well then it contradicts what he says about being easy to remove on one of his "Tavy Tips"Differant stuff, the stuff I took out was blue (oo7) glue.

jcsa
03-12-2010, 05:56 AM
I'm with you Bill. I tell the customer i will not guarantee my work over another man's work, like vinyl. It does not make any difference what you put on top, you still do not know how much adhesive was used and how well is was used.
We use Tavy thinskin on metallic surfaces such as fireplace fronts, metal stair treds, over walls that have existing paint, ect. It is a great product for questionable surfaces. It bonds great and is not that difficult to use, but in specialty applications, it does not get any better.
J.C.

John Bridge
03-12-2010, 06:40 AM
Armen will be at Coverings if any of you want a first hand demonstration. The guy never stops. Don't know how old he is, but he'll be down on his knees demonstrating. ;)

Trask
03-12-2010, 07:32 AM
Well I'll eat my hat.. I assumed it was junk..I say assumed because I have never used it personally. Interesting.

Bill Vincent
03-12-2010, 08:10 AM
I still think so.

Use mastic to put paper down to tile over? Hell, I spend a whole lot of time on vinyl jobs scraping up that exact combination, just so I'm not taking a chance on a failure.

ceramictec
03-12-2010, 08:24 AM
I'm sure it works, like Ditra works, like CIS works, like EasyMat works, like ProtectoWraps works, like Cork works.
your separating the tile from the substrate.

installers have been doing that for as long as I have been doing tile.
we did some showroom floor sections in where you used VCT glue to put down felt and set tile on that.

some installers were gluing down scribing felt and setting on it.

:stirpot:

Trask
03-12-2010, 03:20 PM
NO doubt the concept of a non force conductive underlayment works..I just question the practice of putting the mat on top of any old surface and calling it good. Over CBU, concrete or Ply..fine but the list goes on and on as far as approved surfaces for Tavy. Or at least it used to..I haven't read up on it as of late.

Rd Tile
03-12-2010, 03:30 PM
I like his spacers and hockey puck.:D

Houston Remodeler
03-12-2010, 04:47 PM
Yeah I used his puck to level two kerdi drains today.

carpenterdrew
03-12-2010, 05:44 PM
I still think so.

Use mastic to put paper down to tile over? Hell, I spend a whole lot of time on vinyl jobs scraping up that exact combination, just so I'm not taking a chance on a failure.
Hey Bill,
They had some still left over in the basement would you like some to play with just so you can either prove your suspicions or to win you over.:stirpot:

Tool Guy - Kg
03-12-2010, 06:34 PM
I hate to tell you guys but it works!Is tiling over tile is your acid test to proclaim whether it works or not? Why not just use a highly modified thinset and be done with it? Why put a layer of paper between?

From the Robinson Floor test report I read, I'm not impressed. You could do the same thing with kraft paper and get it to pass the test.

Bill Vincent
03-12-2010, 06:38 PM
Drew-- I still have three rolls here (I actually have four, but he fourth one, I've cut into for making templates). Don't need no more.

carpenterdrew
03-13-2010, 08:54 PM
Is tiling over tile is your acid test to proclaim whether it works or not? Why not just use a highly modified thinset and be done with it? Why put a layer of paper between?All I am saying is that it had been down for 2 years and the tile/grout was in great shape thus it did what the company claims it would do and it was a bear to take out. I read alot of other post's where people were bashing it even though they had never personaly used it. Judging a book by it's cover comes to mind. Having said this I have to say that I have not used it yet, but would be willing to try it as I have now seen how well it worked! As for the paper statement it's not just paper it fiberglass reinforced. Use it, don't use it it makes no differance to me. I try to learn or try something new everyday or I feel like it's been a wasted day.

BP Tile
03-13-2010, 10:22 PM
I had used it on a few job to go over the P-lam and put stone on top of it. it work great.....
it is a good product.

gueuzeman
03-13-2010, 10:34 PM
Love the puck. The spacers are good when I'm not using Raimondi's.

peel and stick speed-flex is better than thin-skin, no glue to spread, but I've never used it. If itworks anywhere as good as speed flex, it's like any product- not right for every condition, but for some perfect. Like ditra. :drevil:

jrl design
03-18-2010, 07:32 PM
Good ole solvent based glues!! You gotta love em. Forget green go solvent!!!

TBird88
07-21-2011, 06:59 PM
is the thin skin rated for exterior use ?

Bill Vincent
07-21-2011, 07:08 PM
:bang: