Wall Tile Question - Help! [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Wall Tile Question - Help!

khawk
02-24-2010, 08:54 AM
I think I may be in over my head. We are building a new house - doing most of the finish work ourselves. I thought it would be "fun" to learn how to tile. Now, I'm getting cold feet. We are setting a 6 ft. soaker tub into a box, basically. So, I'm tiling the tub deck first, then setting the tub, then after the plumber comes, I'll tile the front of the box. Now there is wall on three sides of the tub and I would like to tile about 10 in up the wall from the tub deck. There is already sheet rock there.

My question is - May I screw 1/4 in. James Hardy Cement Board to the existing sheetrock and adhere my tile to the cement board with a wall tile adhesive? That's what I thought I could do, but am getting confused reading different "How To" sites on the internet.

Thanks for your help!!

Sponsored Links

fourml8r
02-24-2010, 10:33 AM
if is plain sheetorck then you want to cover it (waterproof it) first. a product such as kerdi will do this easily. apply using unmodified thinset with small notched trowel. overlap any seams by 2". cover with tile using same unmodified thinset and you are good to go.

greg98
02-24-2010, 11:41 AM
HawkRN,

How about a first name? This is a very friendly site - just go to "User CP" in the blue bar above and enter a name (unless your name is HawkRN :))

First, calm down. The pros here will answer any question you have – no matter how simple or complex - , and will walk you through every step of your project. Just read through some of the threads here and you’ll see that, time after time, people who have little or no knowledge or tiling or remodeling have completed their projects with the help of the John Bridge forum. That includes me. I’ve never been a “DIY” type, but after reading through the site, and buying John Bridge’s “Tile Your World” (which I highly recommend), I’m rebuilding the bathroom in my house from scratch. Tore the walls, floors and shower down to the studs and I’m putting it back together myself.

Believe me, if I can do it, you can.

Second, stop going to other “How To” sites - there's a lot of bad advice out there. The people on this site are professionals in tiling, construction and remodeling, and you’ll even find engineers and representatives from companies who make some of the products you might end up using, and they've never steered me wrong.

If you’re looking for help installing tile – or remodeling in general – you’ve found the right place.

Welcome! :wave:

custombuilt
02-24-2010, 02:02 PM
You can just cut the drywall out 10 inches up and add 1/2 inch durarock. Don't do the 1/4 inch.

Or you can just lay the tile over the drywall, depends on how much moisture is going to get over there.

Also you need an access panel there for the plumber to get at it later if he needs too.

kevin n.
02-24-2010, 04:20 PM
Use Kerdi over drywall where you tile or cut out the drywall and replace with CBU or Hardibacker (1/2").

Bill Vincent
02-24-2010, 06:06 PM
Any of the recommendations given so far will work. But being that you don't have a showerhead over this tub, there's also no reason you can't just tile right over the sheetrock. If it'd make you feel any better, you could always coat the sheetrock to be tiled with Laticrete's roll-on Hydroban or Custom's Redgard. (and even waterproof the deck with it, while you're at it)

Houston Remodeler
02-24-2010, 06:11 PM
Can you post some pictures so we can look over your shoulder? and to make sure you are using all the proper terms for things and everyone knows what everyone is talking about.

I promise not to make fun of the Littler Mermaid shower curtain.