Where does leaking water behind tiles go? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Where does leaking water behind tiles go?

brucebousfield
02-23-2010, 05:27 PM
Just like another newbie post I just read, I've probably over thought my bath/shower tiling project. But this forum has been a great help in figuring out what to do and what products to use.

So.., as recommend, I've got a vapor barrier behind hardiebacker. Both extend down below the top of the bath flange/lip. Once I have finished tiling I'll seal the 1/4" gap between the bottom of the tiles and the bathtub with good quality caulk.

But here's my question. If (or I suppose when) there is a minor leak through aging grout, and the water slowly makes it way down the hardiebacker or vapor barrier, where does it go? It can't escape at the base assuming the seal is still good, and it can't dry out - vapor barrier one side, tile the other.

Am I missing something?

cheers,
Bruce

Sponsored Links

Lazarus
02-23-2010, 05:55 PM
If the leak is not extensive, it will simply evaporate. Any water that works it's way through grout will do this and very little will get through. It may dampen the Hardibacker, but will not soften it and will eventually go away.