Wall Thickness Added by Kerdi? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Wall Thickness Added by Kerdi?

smallshop
02-23-2010, 03:23 PM
Quick question that I can't seem to find a definitive answer for:

I'm roughing in the plumbing for my tub/shower and need to know how much the installed Kerdi is going to add to the wall thickness. I know Kerdi is super thin (and probably insignificant to my calculations), but how much does the thinset that bonds it to the wall add up to?

Thanks in advance,
Jeremy

Sponsored Links

Dave Taylor
02-23-2010, 03:33 PM
Installed..... Kerdi will be about the thickness of the old "Grass Cloth" wallpaper..... remember it, Jeremy?

1/16" - 1/32"

That would seem to be insignificant in plumbing measurements for a tub surround.

Hope this helps

PS: See THIS (http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=484846&postcount=3) post by a former forum moderator.

Lazarus
02-23-2010, 05:57 PM
Kerdi is only 8 mils thick....Kerdi~Band is 4 mils thick......less than most thinset beds that go under the tile.

Houston Remodeler
02-23-2010, 06:34 PM
When I calculate the thickness of kerdi and add in the thinset under the kerdi, 1/8" is the number

fourml8r
02-24-2010, 07:39 AM
8 mil for Kerdi, 4 mil for Kerdi band and the majority of the thinset is scraped (pushed) out during the install so the net additional thickness is minimal. the 1/16" - 1/32" measurement stated before souds very reasonable.