Another closet flange question [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Another closet flange question

lieshout
02-22-2010, 09:23 PM
I am redoing a '50's (slab) bath. The perimeter of the bath is concrete under the original tub and cabinets. The rest of the floor was terrazzo tile. The cast iron closet flange rested on the tiles, but was not attached to the slab. After digging out the tile, filling with cement, levelling and smoothing the transition to the old concrete with slc, I have 5/16" from the flange to the slab. My original plan was to tile under the flange, but obviously, the 1/2" tile that I purchased will not fit. Can I use a thinner tile just under the flange? thank you for any advice you can offer.

Sponsored Links

muskymike
02-22-2010, 09:32 PM
Hi there, welcome! Gotta first name we can use? Yes you can use smaller tiles or you can get some plastic shims and wedge them under the flange. :)

lieshout
02-22-2010, 10:16 PM
Do I need to fasten the flange to the slab? I apologize for not leaving a name. I never post questions...I usually just lurk around the forum when I'm planning or in the middle of a project, looking for answers in the threads. This is absolutely the best place to find answers to tile questions. Thank you.
Karen

Houston Remodeler
02-22-2010, 10:49 PM
This is cast iron in a slab? I doubt you could move that thing with a sledge hammer. I wouldn't bother. The purpose of nailing down the flange is to keep it from being moved, particularly upwards when the terlit is bolted down. Since yours is ancient cast iron and in slab, I doubt it will move anywhere. Put some shims under the bolts to keep them from falling too far down if you need to hold them up higher.

Tool Guy - Kg
02-22-2010, 10:59 PM
Paul is absolutely right about the flange being subjected to lifting forces when the toilet is bolted to it. But I differ with him on this occasion about fastening the flange down. I would tapcon the flange down in case there's been any change to the structural integrity of that flange over it's lifetime. Being cast iron, it's likely decades old. If there's a leaded joint, the lead won't corrode, but the cast iron can. There's a lot of "meat" in the fittings, so it may be fine...even with some corrosion. But I'd be fastening it down as insurance. :)