Friend's bath remodel [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Friend's bath remodel

BimmerRacer
02-22-2010, 03:55 PM
Starting this for my friend and hopefully she'll chime in soon enough, she is shy :)

She's getting a contractor to do their guest bath remodel. I asked her to ask the contractor what he was using to waterproof the area (his plan is to use Hardibacker) to which his answer were

- Hardi is waterproof
- There's latex in (thinset?)
- Grout is sealed.

Knowing what I know from here, none of the above are true. Ok, the second two are true but don't have much to do with respect to waterproofing.

What are her options for getting it done correctly? She can ask the contractor to apply whatever waterproofing needed, as she is paying for materials. I suggested RedGard, but I am not certain since the tub is on an exterior wall. I am not sure what's behind the current surround.

Sponsored Links

iminaquagmire
02-22-2010, 04:27 PM
My opinion is that if the contractor believes what he told your friend, then he probably isn't the guy I'd want to do my tiling, right materials or not.

Houston Remodeler
02-22-2010, 04:51 PM
Ok now I feel better about saying:

The best thing she can do is get another contractor unless the old one is willing to learn how to do it properly. If he doesn't know this, what else doesn't he get right? I wouldn't just hand him products and say "use this"

BimmerRacer
02-22-2010, 04:56 PM
i am sure he'll paint the redgard on if she asks...he's done work for them before :bonk:

bbcamp
02-23-2010, 05:33 AM
Your friend needs to join us. Tell her we rarely bite the newbies.:D

BimmerRacer
02-23-2010, 07:43 AM
she says that she's seeing arguments which say all this waterproofing is overkill and its been done without it before and it's been just fine. Of course, she does have mold in their master bath shower :scratch:

BimmerRacer
03-22-2010, 11:17 AM
So, apparently there was some misunderstanding and the contractor is using hydroban on top of hardi. The extrerior wall has paper faced insulation. Any issues with this plan?

bbcamp
03-22-2010, 02:08 PM
Hydroban is a waterproofer, but not a vapor barrier. Even if it was a vapor barrier, we would recommend defeating the kraft paper on the insulation to prevent moisture entrappment. Lots of 1" slits in the kraft paper where ever the Hydroban will be installed should be sufficient.

BimmerRacer
03-25-2010, 07:16 AM
That doesn't make sense...if not a vapor barrier, why would you want to defeat an existing vapor barrier? Not that that paper is super tight to the studs in the first place.

bbcamp
03-25-2010, 12:39 PM
The kraft paper face of insulation is a vapor retarder, not a real vapor barrier. It is also organic. If you manage to trap moisture between the to vapor retarders, you could get mold. By defeating the kraft paper vapor retarder, you give moisture an easier path to get out without sacrificing the performance of your insulation system.

BimmerRacer
03-25-2010, 01:10 PM
Thanks Bob, passed the info on