Can I Add More Grout from Winter Shrinkage?? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Can I Add More Grout from Winter Shrinkage??

cbisjn
02-22-2010, 12:57 PM
I tiled a backsplash in my kitchen this past Summer/Fall using 2X2 slate tiles from Lowes and I used their Laticrete? powdered grout (which worked fantastic). Over my kitchen sick I have 2 side by side windows that are bordered with a 3" painted white pine trim boards. The tile comes up about 1/3rd of the way along the sides of the trim on the windows.

This winter here in Massachusetts the windows trim pieces must have shrunk in slightly leaving about a 1/16" crack all along the sides and underneath where the grout comes in contact with the wood.

My question is:
Should I leave it like it is and when the wood expands back in the spring it will come back in contact with the grout

or

Should I grout in that crack now while there is an opening of about 1/16"?
And if I do that, will the newly added grout crack when the wood expands back in the Spring?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

bbcamp
02-22-2010, 01:05 PM
You should dig out the grout and caulk it.

custombuilt
02-22-2010, 01:19 PM
It should have had colored matched caulk along the wood surfaces to begin with.

cbisjn
02-23-2010, 08:29 AM
I guess despite my very thorough research on tiling and grouting I never gave thought to caulking and don't remember seeing it at all in any of the videos or articles I read. Not that they weren't there, I just don't remember picking up on that. :bonk:

Any suggestions on the best way to remove the cauliking between the last tile and the wood to keep it somewhat uniform and not break into the horizontal grout lines?

Thanks for the reply. I won't forget on my next project

bbcamp
02-23-2010, 11:04 AM
Use a grout saw. Protect the wood with a drywall taping knife.

Tool Guy - Kg
02-23-2010, 11:11 AM
If you aren't already familiar with a hand grout saw...here's a pic. The business end is gritty and will grind away at the grout with a stroking motion.
You can find them at tile stores and big box stores. :)

cbisjn
02-23-2010, 08:09 PM
What would be better:

removing the grout and caulk now while there is a gap and the caulking would COMPRESS when the wood expands in the spring/summer..... Or

remove the grout after the wood expands back which would allow the caulking to STRETCH next winter

does it really matter?

Thanks to all

Tool Guy - Kg
02-25-2010, 12:41 PM
Since you'll be using a latex caulk (because you'll want it to be paintable) in this scenario, I'd caulk it now and let it compress a bit. Latex isn't as flexible as a 100% silicone (which isn't paintable) and compressing it is more likely to outlast the stretching.

:)

Steve in PA
02-25-2010, 01:19 PM
What about a small piece of wood trim, painted and caulked to match the wall? Then maybe just a thin bead of gray caulk to seal the gap where the trim meets the grout.

It would cover up the 1/4" sliver pieces and IMO look better.