Question: Is laying out small backsplash necessary? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Question: Is laying out small backsplash necessary?

Zippylongstocking
02-19-2010, 02:42 PM
I am installing a kitchen backsplash. Four electrical wallplates reside in the area to be tiled. Is it likely that I will need to extend the electrical boxes or perhaps get longer wall plate screws? Is it probable that the wall plates will fit without requiring any special action?

If I need longer screws, is there an easy name that I can tell the hardware store personnel?

Thanks In Advance.

Sponsored Links

rktect
02-19-2010, 03:32 PM
I just get longer screws. #6 IIRC . . . And to be on the safe side I wrap electrical tape around the duplex receptcle, just to make 100% sure that the wire set screws do not contact the trim ring.

One can change the trim ring, but IMHO thats just too much mess . . .

Houston Remodeler
02-19-2010, 05:34 PM
In my fair city, the added tile thickness meets the fire code requirement so no extra extension ring is needed. The screws are sold in both the electrical and hardware sections of HD, in both 1.5" and 2", six to a bag.

Zippylongstocking
02-19-2010, 05:44 PM
Very good, thanks.

opiethetileman
02-19-2010, 05:55 PM
you want 6/32 screws 2 inch is what i keep on the truck......also if ya use 1/8" clear tube and slide them over the screw before ya screw them in.....the outlet wont wiggle if ya dont have enough tile for the ears to bite on

kevin n.
02-20-2010, 09:28 AM
There are also accordian type spacers to put on the screws when you don't have enough tile at the rabbit ears. They're in the electrical aisle by the wire nuts and stuff.

Zippylongstocking
02-22-2010, 09:44 AM
Is it necessary or recommended that I actually snap lines (do a layout) if I'm going to install a backsplash on diagonal? The reason I'm asking is the height of the installation is only about 20 inches (length 80). Being such a short vertical distance, would you just "eye-ball" it and skip the layout? 4 inch tiles....

Thanks In Advance :dance:

bbcamp
02-22-2010, 09:48 AM
You need to do a layout, if for no other reason, to make sure your pattern will not end akwardly in a corner, or some other boo-boo that you will see for the rest of your life.

Also, diagonal lay is harder to keep straight, since gravity will not be your friend. A few vertical lines (say, every 3rd of 4th row) will help keep your tiles straight.

Houston Remodeler
02-22-2010, 09:51 AM
You can skip drawing on the wall as long as you plan it out on the floor, counter or table ahead of time. Gravity will make the 45 a bit wider while you aren't looking and throw off your measurements.