Big Problem --Deck Leaking Inside [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Big Problem --Deck Leaking Inside

AZ Seth
02-22-2010, 02:37 AM
We are getting water into our house and it appears to be coming from edges of deck. Travertine over Schluter system over walk deck that appeared to be flashed well. Troba, Concrete, Ditra and Kerdi were used. Substrate is 1 inch T&G plywood. No cracking, on the deck just leaks. Looks like the deck might have been installed too high. What do you think of the height compared to stucco? There is some pooling in a narrow area as the slope of the deck is not quite right for the water to get to the drain. I can provide more pictures as well when the sun comes up.

Can you recommend a real pro in Phoenix Scottsdale area. SOmeone familiar with decks and Schluter Systems?

Really appreciate the help.

Seth

Sponsored Links

custombuilt
02-22-2010, 08:14 AM
the issue could have more to do with the flashing detail on that stucco wall than anything. What is that trim piece going along the wall?

AZ Seth
02-22-2010, 08:41 AM
Thanks Jason. Which trim piece? There is a small piece of Travertine cut and thinset on the Kerdi. Flashing is behind that. The metal trim on the stucco is the weep screed.

Seth

Houston Remodeler
02-22-2010, 09:04 AM
Seth,

The bottom of the weep screed is open?

scuttlebuttrp
02-22-2010, 03:41 PM
Can you recommend a real pro in Phoenix Scottsdale area.

Yo Marge!:)

johntrent
02-22-2010, 04:03 PM
James Woelfel is in Phoenix. He is a great guy with the knowledge & skill to give you a hand.

http://www.artcraftgmt.com/About_US.html

AZ Seth
02-22-2010, 07:33 PM
The weep screed has some openings here and there but covered mostly with the trim piece. Caulking was done around the edges but there are gaps. The Kerdi is behind it but apparently not enough to stop water. I have to think the edges are to blame here.

Thx, Seth

AZ Seth
02-22-2010, 07:40 PM
John, Thanks for the name. If you can believe this I had James and his father over today to look at it today. They went over some options that I am considering including redoing the deck. They seem to like the nobel deck product. The deck is clearly high compared to the stucco. On suggestion if we redo the deck is to was cut the stucco up and re-flash but I don't see how that can be done right to get the paper and lath back on top of the flashing.

Ho can this be done properly?

Thx, Seth

The Kid
02-23-2010, 10:48 AM
Hi seth,

Id say if its only leaking at the edges, the flash detail must be the problem. Got any more pictures.

My next step would be to take a grinder and cut a line in the stucco up 18" or so and remove the plaster, pull all the staples and fold back the lath, this will allow you to see whats going on with the flashing. Sucky work, but it sounds eaiser and cheaper then a total tear out. Id say thats a good starting point.

Do you have any during construction pics of the deck?

dhagin
02-27-2010, 05:06 PM
On suggestion if we redo the deck is to was cut the stucco up and re-flash but I don't see how that can be done right to get the paper and lath back on top of the flashing.

Ho can this be done properly?

Can be a little tricky sometimes, but one typical solution is to run the water proofing up the wall and counter-flash with metal. The top of the metal is bent and set into caulk which has been placed into a horizontal saw kerf (reglet) into the stucco.

Here's what a quick search of google images for reglet found...

e3
02-27-2010, 08:29 PM
james and butch know what they're doing..