Question about tapcon screws [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Question about tapcon screws

mcilvain
02-22-2010, 12:18 AM
I'm considering using tapcon screws to attach durock to brick. If a tapcon screw is removed, can it be replaced in the same hole and still have the same holding power?

Sponsored Links

Muddman
02-22-2010, 12:34 AM
It really depends on the shape of the concrete.

Tapcons are not the method I would use to secure CBU to cement. I would use a good modified thinset and embed it into the wall. You will get a better hold and avoid loose spots or pull outs which are likely trying to use tapcons.

mcilvain
02-22-2010, 12:41 AM
I was going to try to use both a modified thinset and tapcons. Are the screws not necessary? I figured having both would ensure proper adhesion.

Splinter
02-22-2010, 06:51 AM
old clay brick is pretty soft.. the hole may not hold the screw after re-installation. Cement brick would probably be fine.

Muddman
02-22-2010, 09:59 AM
tapcon heads aren't really designed to hold the CBU like "backerons" or other cbu screws are. I doubt they would do much. I have used masonry nails to hold the cbu in place while the mortar dries, but its the mortar that really holds it there after it has set. The mortar alone will be fine. Just make sure you have a clean surface you are adhering to.

jgrave
02-26-2011, 12:31 PM
Hello,

I was searching tapcon +tile and found your site. I was hoping I could ask a question.

I recently bought an older home that has a ceramic tile over concrete in the basement. I need to put up some walls to create an office. I am thinking about pre-drilling through the footer and tile. Then using tapcons to attache the footer to the floor. Would this be the correct thing to do? What type of drill bit should I need to get through the ceramic tile?

Thanks
Justin

Splinter
02-26-2011, 04:39 PM
justin-

tapcons will work fine, make sure they're long enough to penetrate the concrete an inch or so... Use some pressure treated lumber for the bottom plate of your new walls, and squeeze a bead of construction adhesive under there as well. The box of tapcons usually say what size bit is necessary for the pilot hole. Use a regular wood bit for the bottom plate, and a carbide tipped bit for the ceramic and cement.

JEC
02-26-2011, 05:03 PM
I would not do it, I used them to hold my spray jet fittings after taking them in and out 3 times there were no more threads. Had to fill the holes then redrill again...