Where can I find large (12x24 or 18x26) marble tiles? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Where can I find large (12x24 or 18x26) marble tiles?

Serge
02-21-2010, 06:01 PM
Without spending an arm and a leg?! I went to a tile place here in Seattle (won't mention any names but it does contain Oregon), and they wanted $16.50/sqft!!!

Yes, I know many don't like marble in the bathroom, and it's soft etc, but it looks so classy.

Any suggestions in the Seattle area?

Thanks much!

Serge.

Sponsored Links

jadnashua
02-21-2010, 07:04 PM
Because stone is a natural product, and defects are a normal part of them, getting large format tiles out of a chunk of rock is expensive...there are a lot of pieces lost in the process. Then, you have to transport them without them breaking...not easy or cheap. A small grout line with more common sizes would cost you a lot less. Also, the larger the tile, the harder it is to install without lippage - the floor must be essentially perfect. Then, you'd probably need gazier suction cups to handle them and get them in place without breaking. Go with smaller, you'll be happier.

Serge
02-21-2010, 08:19 PM
Thanks Jim! I've actually done large tiles before and didn't have much problem with lippage.

From what I know about marble, they cut slabs and then the leftovers they cut into tiles - so if you buy them you're actually buying waste/leftovers - the ultimate in green!:)

The tiles are not that much more expensive than some of those fancy-pants Italian ones, but I just can't believe that marble left-overs are that expensive.

I saw some 12x24 marble ones on the internet for 1/2 the price. I may just go for that, though I'd really like the 18x26 I saw.....

Anyone else know of any less expensive distributors of large size marble tiles?

Thanks so much!

Serge.

custombuilt
02-21-2010, 09:03 PM
You can always buy things cheaper on line but remember you can't see the product that you are getting. You may end up having to throw half of it out. Any thing that big should cost about 15 bucks a foot and should also be either mud set or at least Tuscan leveling system. Large tiles are only going to weigh about half of what marble that size weighs.

Serge
02-21-2010, 11:39 PM
Thanks so much Jason.

It's true that you can't see what you're getting online, but sometimes you can get some really quality stuff (StoneTech, etc.). I bought my shower thermostat and volume controls on another site that begins with e and ends with ay, and I saved almost $1000.

Just wondering if someone knew a place to get it a little less expensive here in Seattle. Otherwise I'll drive down to Oregon and at least save myself around 9% in sales tax! :moon:

Serge.

Shaughnn
02-22-2010, 12:27 AM
Serge,
Are you a contractor or a consumer? Oregon Tile & Marble offers excellent value for the product on their menu. You could go around the corner to Stone World (across the street from McDonalds on 4th) for cheaper stuff but it's going to be garbage. You could also check with Tiles 4 Less up the road, but I don't think you'll find much better.
The thing is that not all stone is created equal and one of the perks of buying through a reputable distributor is knowing that their buyers overseas are actually looking at the quality of the stone before the agree to ship it over here. That's not the case with discount sales and with marble you're just as likely to get a polish that is more wax than grit and a composition which will not hold up to even casual residential traffic.
Caveat Emptor, Serge.
If you like the stuff at Oregon Tile & Marble, then buy it. If it's not in your budget, then don't blame them for that small inconvenience. They are doing their job by offering stuff that has gotten your attention. That's all any of us can ask for, really.
Shaughnn