Grouting [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Grouting

pathussey
02-20-2010, 08:48 PM
Ok , after 4 months of jacking around with my kitchen floor project ,
Ya i know along time to do 247 sq feet , Anyway i am ready to grout and get this project over with ,
Note to self , never do hopscotch pattern agine . looks cool , but a lot of work .

My question is . Is it bad to grout in sections ? I have taken all my bags of grout and mixed them together , to hopefully help with the color from bag to bag ,

Can i like grout 1/2 one day and do the other 1/2 other , or should i wait till i have the time that i can do the whole thing in one day ?

Sponsored Links

LAtileman
02-20-2010, 08:55 PM
Patrich,
You can, but you will likely be able to see where the old & new grout meet. When ever possible, stop grouting in a doorway, vs. in the middle of a room.

247 SF is pretty small, how many bags of grout did you buy?

Houston Remodeler
02-20-2010, 08:55 PM
There is no problem with grouting in sections, or over time as long as the installed grout stays protected from dirt, oils, etc while its waiting to be finished. a covering of red rosin paper works fine.

thammel
02-20-2010, 09:07 PM
I just did about 180 Ft^2 floor grouting and I did it on 3 separate days. It took me about 4 hours each time. There's no way I'd want to tackle 247 ft^2 on one day. You'd be wiped out! I did not have a problem with the grout matching up at the start/stop points. The hardest part was the clean up and haze removal. This by far took the longest. The job could be broken up into about 4 parts: 1) mixing and prepping the grout. This takes maybe 20-30 minutes because of the wait between the first and 2nd mix. 2) The actual grout application. This is pretty fast - maybe 45 minutes for the area I did each day (approx 60ft^2) 3) The first excess removal. This is slow because of the number of times you need to throw out the water and get a clean bucket and because of the effort to simply get the tiles clean. 4) The final haze removal. This is easier because you're not really removing much grout - just haze.

I find that good knee pads are a great help! we have gel cushioned ones that help a lot.

Tom

Shawn Prentice
02-20-2010, 09:40 PM
Greeting Patrick,

Mix it all the same. Same weight of grout to the same volume of water (per manufacturer's instructions of course) in order to be safe with multiple grouting sessions.

pathussey
02-20-2010, 10:35 PM
Well i have 2 , 25lbs bags , i have 3/8 grout lines , with 3/8 thick tile .
But with this pattern , i think i am going to need more , so i am going to pick up some more and get them all mixed together , so it matches

I have 13x13 tiles with 6 1/2 x 6 1/2 , in hopscotch , so i am not sure how to estimate how much grout i need

Houston Remodeler
02-20-2010, 10:44 PM
To calculate the hopscotch, count the different tiles as separate floors, ex- 40 sf of the inset and 300 sf of the 13x13's or whatever your numbers are.