Tile over hardwood floors? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Tile over hardwood floors?

canukid
02-20-2010, 03:10 PM
I am wanting to tile a kitchen floor. It is a 125 year old house with 3/4 inch plank subfloor with 2" wide hardwood oak flooring on top. If I belt sand the floor can I then install Ditra right to the hardwood floor then tile? Do I even need to sand the hardwood at all? Or do I need to install Ditra at all, can I install the tile directly to the hardwood floor?
The kitchen cabinets are of course on top of this old floor, so removing the hardwood floor will be difficult. Is my only choice to install plywood over top then tile. That would make a very tall transition to the next room.Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links

jgleason
02-20-2010, 03:46 PM
Hi Kevin and welcome!

You need a minimum of 3/8" plywood over the hardwood floor followed by Ditra or a cement board. I prefer Ditra.

You can also remove the hardwood and add plywood followed by Ditra or cement board.

3/8" really is the minimum. If it were me I would probably remove the hardwood and add 1/2" plywood followed by Ditra and tile. Reuse the hardwood somewhere else if you can.

Of course you also need to make sure your joists are up to snuff and you meet spec for deflection. Use the Deflecto tool (on blue menu above) to see if you are good for tile.

Shawn Prentice
02-20-2010, 03:48 PM
Greeting Kevin,

(Edit: Joe covered deflection above.)

Second, you need minimum 1/2" nominal ply over board flooring per Schluter's instuctions. If you are worried about floor transition height, then you need to take up the old floor and maybe even the subfloor. Check out the following link for what floor systems you can put Ditra over (you'll see what I'm talking about on page 9 concerning your situation): http://www.schluter.com/media/brochures/DitraHandbook-2008-ENG.pdf

lati_cz
02-20-2010, 05:39 PM
keep the hardwood. no tile looks better than hardwood.