Newby Help Needed [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Newby Help Needed

RichieRich
02-19-2010, 10:34 PM
This is my 1st post. I've been lurking for a few weeks and decided to take the plunge. I'm already in need of help. This is a small bathroom (5' wide x 5' 7") I'm planning to tile. The house is 31 yrs. old. and has always had carpet in the bathroom. After tearing out the carpet, I've found the floor (3/4" t&g plywood) to be high right down the center. It falls approx. 1/4" along both walls. Strangely it's level across the front of the tub. The gap in the plywood gradually opens to 1/8" at the doorway. There's no way hardiboard would lay flat as it's "high centered" I guess from the house settling. Lowe's suggested a "leveling compound Kit" Am I on the right track with this kit.
Suggestions appreciated!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links

Snets
02-19-2010, 10:44 PM
Welcome, Rich.

Dang, by the date on your photo (01/25/2007) you have been thinking about this for a while!:stick:

I would vote for SLC in this case. Any issues with height?

RichieRich
02-19-2010, 10:52 PM
Yea, the camera need to be re-set. There's no height issues just the fact that the subflooring is high right down the middle. The bathroom is centered between the front and rear of the house. The problem continues all the way down the center of the house, but it's carpeted, so it goes unnoticed. I guess over the years the front and rear of the house settled leaving the beam down the middle undisturbed.

kevin n.
02-20-2010, 09:21 AM
As already said, SLC is the way to go. Remember to prime the floor before using the SLC with the recommended primer.

RichieRich
02-20-2010, 10:23 AM
I'm heading out to buy the Laticrete SLC. The "floor guy" said the Hardi Backer still goes over the SLC with screws. Is that correct? I thought I'd read a post that said the tile goes directly over the SLC?

Houston Remodeler
02-20-2010, 10:27 AM
You can tile over the SLC provided your sub floor is in good condition. Whatcha got besides 3/4 T&G?

RichieRich
02-20-2010, 10:28 AM
That's it! 3/4" t&g nailed to 2X6 joists on 16" centers.

RichieRich
02-21-2010, 03:55 PM
Last evening I "preped" the 3/4" plywood subfloor with the Laticrete SLC primer. After letting it dry overnight I mixed the SLC and floated it over the floor. It seemed pretty easy to work with. I'm planning on letting it dry for at least 16 hrs. Can I then lay the Hardiboard over the SLC? I'm trying to achieve height. If so should I apply thinset between the SLC and the Hardi? Then screw it down every 8"?
Thanks, Richie

tilelayer
02-21-2010, 08:49 PM
yes you can do that! I was reading a nice article in Tile Letter about so many installers, putting SLC or SLU one of em over plywood and thinking they could tile over it and the job would fail. It was written by: Micheal Byrne. Anyways yes thinset the hardi down and screw it, the screws will penetrate the slc make sure you get the longer ones though.

RichieRich
02-21-2010, 09:07 PM
Thanks. I'm a little upset that the leveling kit didn't completely solve my problem. I followed the directions to a "T" and the floor is still about 1/8" high in the center. At this point I'm on the verge of linoleum! Do you think the thinset under the Hardi board will make up for the approx. 1/8 difference in uneveness?

tilelayer
02-21-2010, 09:30 PM
I have tiled over worse. I would proceed with the install.

RichieRich
02-21-2010, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I was really on the verge of "throwing in the towel".

Houston Remodeler
02-21-2010, 11:38 PM
The bad news: No the thinset under the hardie will not make up for the 1/8" gap. The good news: With a little bit of effort you can lose that hill when tiling. Use a larger notched trowel and a leveling system such as LASH from home depot http://www.qepbrand.com/lash/video.php or Tuscan Leveling system, TLS.

RichieRich
02-22-2010, 09:41 AM
Thanks Paul, I'll check out the system today.

Houston Remodeler
02-22-2010, 09:45 AM
and by the way - the old (old old old) tiling joke is -

" Throwing in the trowel " :lol1:

RichieRich
02-28-2010, 11:25 PM
Finished Bathroom Photo. Everything turned out OK. Not a complicated layout, but pretty much my 1st tile (marble) job. Now I'm going to tackle the vanity top. Bought a new potty to save water. Thankfully the edge of the tub was not curved, and almost a perfect right angle to the walls!

Brian in San Diego
02-28-2010, 11:39 PM
It looks good, Richie! Keep up the good work and "Wow" us with the vanity.