Tiling a shower [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Tiling a shower

Minaz
02-19-2010, 01:56 PM
Hi everyone

I am new at tilling and now i think i have totally over analyzed the project to the point that i am almost paralyzed to start...Anyways here are my questions and any help will be greatly appreciated...thanks

I am using a 3X6 subway brown subway tile in a brick pattern. The shower base is a ready made acrylic base.

Questions:
1. How thick should i make my grout lines, 1/8 or 1/16? If 1/16 can i use sanded grout or i have to use unsanded?

2. How should i do the inside corner of the shower. Should i tile the side all the way to the back wall and then butt up the back wall tile to the side wall? What about a grout line? should i leave the a gap for the grout line. Should i grout or should i just caulk?

3. Should the last row come all the way down to the bottom of the flange of the shower base or should there be a gap there? if there is a gap there, should i just fill it with caulking?

Thanks for all your help

Sponsored Links

Kman
02-19-2010, 02:15 PM
1. How thick should i make my grout lines, 1/8 or 1/16? If 1/16 can i use sanded grout or i have to use unsanded?

The subway tile I've used has built in spacers to set the tile at 1/16". That's probably the most common spacing, but you can make it larger if you want.

2. How should i do the inside corner of the shower. Should i tile the side all the way to the back wall and then butt up the back wall tile to the side wall? What about a grout line? should i leave the a gap for the grout line. Should i grout or should i just caulk?

Best way is to do the back wall first then the side walls cut up to it. That way the cut edge of the tile is not as visible. Leave about 1/16" gap. Standards say to caulk this joint, but many just grout it. If you do caulk it, us a silicone-based caulk. The latex acrylic caulks usually won't hold up the moisture.

3. Should the last row come all the way down to the bottom of the flange of the shower base or should there be a gap there? if there is a gap there, should i just fill it with caulking?

Leave about 1/16-1/8" gap between the bottom row of tiles and the base, then seal it with caulk. Hint: having the base perfectly level makes your work much easier.

If you would like us to evaluate your waterproofing system and choice of materials, feel free to post the specs of what you have and someone will look over it and provide suggestions.

Thanks for all your help

You're welcome. :)

Minaz
02-19-2010, 03:26 PM
Hi Again

If i use a 1/16 grout line, do i have to use unsanded grout or can i use sanded grout.

thanks

Sc tile man
02-19-2010, 03:35 PM
Unsanded grout for 1/8 or less is what i use.:)

Groutman
02-19-2010, 03:38 PM
Before you set the tile on the back wall check the shower pan for being level, which if it is not you need to adjust your first row to accommodate for this... Good Luck

Minaz
02-22-2010, 11:32 AM
Hi Guys

I am tiling my shower with 3X6 subaway over top dens Sheild. Can i use the Mastic, i think the brand at Home Depot is called Omni Grip, or should i just stick to thinset?

thanks.

alacrity
02-22-2010, 11:55 AM
You should be using thinset, mastic is unacceptable in any wet areas, such as a shower.

Also, have you waterproofed the seams and screw holes in the denshield?

Minaz
02-22-2010, 12:17 PM
Hi

Yes i used the mesh tape and thinset on the seams, as per the directions, how do i water proof the screw holes?

thanks

John Bridge
02-22-2010, 03:07 PM
Hello Minaz. :)

You can use silicone caulk over the screw heads. Doesn't take a lot. :)

Use a good thin set, too. Don't buy the cheapest.

Minaz
02-23-2010, 01:20 PM
Hi Folks

Ok my first attempt at tiling my shower surround was a gong show!!! My problem is that i have thinset everywhere, coming up through the space for the grout lines and all over the tiles. Any advice on how to set the tiles so that i don't have thinset coming up through the grout lines space? Also any tricks on how to clean the thinset out of the grout line space?
I am using 3X6 subway tile in a brick pattern.

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

ceramictec
02-23-2010, 01:54 PM
floors or walls ?

your probably using too deep of a notch trowel

half a mill Phil
02-23-2010, 02:25 PM
As Brian, notched trowel to deep, as you say thin set coming up. I presume this is a floor. I am from the UK. and this is only my second post. So I don't want to step on any toes, We use metric mesurement so you will have to humour me if I get this wrong. But I would think quarter inch trowel should be about right. I have been tile setting for 43yrs. but am new to US. methods. I hope I can learn from US. Pro fixers. Regards Phil.:

cx
02-23-2010, 03:04 PM
Welcome, Minaz. :)

Please keep all your project questions on this thread so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered.

Welcome also, Phil. Do stop by the Professionals' Hangout and introduce yourownself to the other pros there. They'll treat you nice even though you don't speak English, eh? :D

Minaz, you can use a 1/4"x1/4" notched trowel for those tiles, but you may wanna lean it over a little when "notching." You still wanna be getting good coverage on the backs of each tile, though. Pull up a few of the first ones to be sure that's the case.

You could also try a smaller notch if you can find one.

The more important thing is good coverage. If you gotta clean a lotta mortar out of the joints, do that rather than diminishing your coverage.

Yeah, it's a big PITA. Try to find the right notch size and/or technique. :)

My opinion; worth price charged.

Minaz
02-23-2010, 03:51 PM
Hi Thanks for all the help. i have been using a 1/4 X 1/4 notch trowel, they are wall tile that i have been "attempting" to install. i wll try and find a smaller notch if possible. Would a V notch be ok? What is a V-notch trowel used for?

thanks

bbcamp
02-24-2010, 05:33 AM
A V-notch trowel is OK. The notches are usually smaller and apply less thinset than square notched trowels. If you can find a 1/8" square notch (not as common), then that would also work for you.

One other thing not previously mentioned: your thinset may be a little too "loose," meaning too much water or not enough powder. You mix it to the consistancy of peanut butter. Kinda thick. It will ooze less if a little stiffer.

And another thing, keep a bucket of water and a couple of sponges handy. Take some time to wash your hands, then clean the tiles as you go. Use a small, cheap paint brush with the bristles cut to about 3/4" to 1" long as a joint cleaning tool.

Minaz
03-06-2010, 10:17 AM
Hi again guys, thanks for all the wonderful advice, project is back on track!

Another question, i am installing a dark brown tile, for which i am using a grey thinset. I want to put in a mosaic accent border which contains a mixture of dark and light colored tiles (browns and creams). I plan on using the same colored grout for everything (brown). So the question is should i also use the same thinset throughout? The guy at HD said i should be using a white thinset when tiling using light colored tiles.

thanks for the help

Brian in San Diego
03-06-2010, 10:38 AM
Minaz,

You can use the grey for the accent but be very careful in your clean up. I used some grey Versabond to set some light colored tile and just a smidge of thinset was left on the edge of one of the tiles (on the shower floor) and it's still there 3 years later. It would be advisable to use white but i wouldn't go buy a 50 lb. bag for a 5 lb. job.

Brian